Uh oh... found an egg today! ... - A journal of sorts, from finding eggs to hatching them... Update

Those are adorable!!!! You will really enjoy them growing up!!! Lots of color there!
celebrate.gif
I am so happy for you!

Okay I found four more eggs yesterday Pavi moved her nest back into our yard. I almost stepped on her she was so well hidden in the fern! I left two and she apparently laid there again. Now is it okay to add them to the incubator as there is only 3 days difference between the the two groups? this gives me 11 eggs now in the incubator. Will this be okay? I am using the still air incubator so the temp is up to between 100.5 and 101. Humidity is steady at 30% but I am working on getting higher. I am less fussy about this group after the last and it will probably do just fine.
caf.gif

Okay I found four more eggs yesterday Pavi moved her nest back into our yard. I almost stepped on her she was so well hidden in the fern! I left two and she apparently laid there again. Now is it okay to add them to the incubator as there is only 3 days difference between the the two groups? this gives me 11 eggs now in the incubator. Will this be okay? I am using the still air incubator so the temp is up to between 100.5 and 101. Humidity is steady at 30% but I am working on getting higher. I am less fussy about this group after the last and it will probably do just fine.
caf.gif
Congrats on collecting more eggs and getting an incubator! The tricky part will be finding the happy medium to the humidity needed for the 8 hatching eggs (for lock-down) and the remaining 3 eggs that aren't ready for high humidity yet. Maybe you can use your home made incubator for the 3 newest eggs while the others hatch? (I'd rather risk losing 3 eggs than 8 eggs but hopefully you don't lose any at all!)

Well, I just set 96 eggs and will set 60 more next week, so pretty soon I will have keets coming out my ears! I can't wait! Wish me luck!
Cool beans Ash! Can't wait to see what you hatch!
Have you figured out how many keets you have to sell to get the incubator to pay for itself yet?

My single guinea girl has been laying pretty good, we haven't really been looking hard for the nests since the eggs aren't fertile. But we started missing one of our white turkey girls, She had been acting broody but she breaks the eggs so we had been trying to break her. We found her today, she had hijacked the guineas latest nest, with about 20 eggs. Too bad they aren't fertile, that would be neat, a bunch of guinea keets following a turkey around!
We have several keets growing, some folling the broodys that hatched them some in the brooder. I have a nice bunch in the bator too.
Oh I almost forgot I have a broody hatching some today, there is one that looks white and one that looks "frosted"? we'll see what she ends up with.

Pics pics!!! I wanna see em all! Frosted???

I have had this free range Hen on 11 eggs, and today is day 24... they are not her eggs tho, she went broody on marked eggs while I was collecting free range the eggs daily...so I gave her eggs from my Brown/Chocolate flock to sit on, just to see if she could hatch and raise some keets here. She's been very diligent, even after the horses decided to eat her thistle cover, lol.
And horse poop apparently makes great nesting material lol
gig.gif

Last edited:
Pics pics!!! I wanna see em all! Frosted???

I have had this free range Hen on 11 eggs, and today is day 24... they are not her eggs tho, she went broody on marked eggs while I was collecting free range the eggs daily...so I gave her eggs from my Brown/Chocolate flock to sit on, just to see if she could hatch and raise some keets here. She's been very diligent, even after the horses decided to eat her thistle cover, lol.
And horse poop apparently makes great nesting material lol
gig.gif

LOL That picture if just hilarious! I love it! I still have little over a week before my eggs should start hatching, it seems like time flew by the first couple weeks then there's the final week and it just DRAGS on and on and on. Hopefully I'm not the only one that has noticed that or thought about it.. (Am I?
hide.gif
)

Back
Top Bottom