UH OH!!! I Had A Smelly Visitor !

Feathered Wings

Songster
11 Years
Oct 9, 2008
Georgia
When i went for the morning feed i noticed that unmistakble smell of a Skunk
ep.gif
. Then right beside the garbage was his little smelly footprints what do you think he was looking for??
All my cages are about 3 foot off ground do they climb?? Should i be worried or is he just after the dogs food?? We have one of those big self feeders under where his smelly self had been.
Anybody had experience with a Skunk as i said i don't think he can get to my chickens.
OH LORD if i ran across it i would probably scream and
th.gif

If it stinks after it's left, it might be a spotted skunk. He is after the low lying "fruit". If desperate he would probably kill a chicken. He would love eggs. Primarily he just wants whatever food/water is easiest to get to.

You need to remove the food source or the skunk will be back. And it will teach any young where the food is if left long enough. Just make sure your chicken pens are well protected. They can climb a little, but would prefer not to. If you remove the dog food, make sure there is some type of top to the pens and that it is secure.

I have skunks that traverse my property as well. The rodent away pellets that you can buy might work. But I have found that they work better if placed before the rodents find a food source. The only other suggestion is to hunt them down, but that is a smelly proposition as well, one that I have never been able to bring myself to do.

Good Luck, let me know if you find something that works.

If he's just after the dog food i don't mind there is always food in there.
I like all animals and if he's not a threat then i won't worry about a little dog food missing.
If he can't climb that high then he won't be able to reach my off the ground pens.

Seriously though. Talk with the local game authorities as to the frequency of rabies in your area. Skunks are a moderate transmitter of the disease. If your area is a moderate to elevated risk, that may change your mind. Keep in mind, one will shortly become two, which will become……..

Another of their favorite foods is the white grubs that lie just below the surface in your lawn. I have one that grubs and cleans up any spilled feed around the pens. as long as he is out there I don't have to worry about stray dogs coming up at night.

Last night a skunk was attempting to get into the run with my babies. I got there just in time. He walked away slowly. Tonight there were 2 skunks there. I shot them both dead. I'm sure there are more.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom