1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Uh oh. Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by magicpigeon, Aug 28, 2011.

1. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    [​IMG] I bet you were thinking this was something bad [​IMG] Does anyone else's dog do this? She doesn't sit normaly, she'll lie down on the ground on her back or stomach like this. The VTF says she thinks she's a human... [​IMG]

2. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    mine does this all the time. He also drags himself around like he's paralysed not using his back legs. I think it's some kind of stretching?

3. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    My vet once told me that dogs do that if their hips are either really good or really bad. Just for grins and giggles someday when she is mature, you may wish to have her hips x-raayed, just to feel better.

My Aussie, Striker, did it all the time. His hips OFA'd as good. I also had a kitten who argued with a truck, lost, and broke her pelvis. Once it healed, she slept like that. Really weird to see a cat do that.

I personally think it's cute.

Your pup is adorable, too.

4. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    does he sleep like this?

[​IMG]

it's normal. I wouldn't worry about it. I've seen dogs and cats both do it. Mine does it when it's really hot. He'll go lay like that on the tile floor or in the basement to cool off.

5. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Sometimes it's normal, sometimes it's not as another poster said.

It's basically like when my SO is lying on the couch. Is he dead? Leg broken? Or is he just waiting for the playoffs to start?

If later the pup starts having trouble getting up and down, is sore after play days, it may have a hip problem. Our Samoyed started showing both hip and elbow problems at about six months.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  6. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Awww! That puppy is so cute! What breed is she?

7. melodie_a

melodie_a Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2010
    Sanford, NC
    We call it downward frog at our house because our dog looks like he has frog legs when he does it. [​IMG]

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Only normal if owned by a strange ozzy. [​IMG]

9. llrumsey

llrumsey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    I've had all breeds of dogs from chihuahua to lab and mixed, even the baby puppies would do it, either lay like that or pull them self along the ground, the preg. females would do it as if scratching their bellies, then get up smile and shake.[​IMG]

10. chickenlips1954

chickenlips1954 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    All of our pitbulls have done this. We were told that any dog with "terrier" in it will do this. It's normal, so don't worry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by