Uh oh. Is this normal?

magicpigeon

Songster
9 Years
Oct 9, 2010
DSC01255.jpg
I bet you were thinking this was something bad
gig.gif
Does anyone else's dog do this? She doesn't sit normaly, she'll lie down on the ground on her back or stomach like this. The VTF says she thinks she's a human...
roll.png

My vet once told me that dogs do that if their hips are either really good or really bad. Just for grins and giggles someday when she is mature, you may wish to have her hips x-raayed, just to feel better.

My Aussie, Striker, did it all the time. His hips OFA'd as good. I also had a kitten who argued with a truck, lost, and broke her pelvis. Once it healed, she slept like that. Really weird to see a cat do that.

I personally think it's cute.

Your pup is adorable, too.

does he sleep like this?

20110820155112.jpg

it's normal. I wouldn't worry about it. I've seen dogs and cats both do it. Mine does it when it's really hot. He'll go lay like that on the tile floor or in the basement to cool off.

Sometimes it's normal, sometimes it's not as another poster said.

It's basically like when my SO is lying on the couch. Is he dead? Leg broken? Or is he just waiting for the playoffs to start?

If later the pup starts having trouble getting up and down, is sore after play days, it may have a hip problem. Our Samoyed started showing both hip and elbow problems at about six months.

Last edited:
I've had all breeds of dogs from chihuahua to lab and mixed, even the baby puppies would do it, either lay like that or pull them self along the ground, the preg. females would do it as if scratching their bellies, then get up smile and shake.
celebrate.gif

All of our pitbulls have done this. We were told that any dog with "terrier" in it will do this. It's normal, so don't worry.

Back
Top Bottom