Uh oh... rooster?

Thanks everyone, yes bella does not look anything like your Roo in the pic, but the white is what was making me concerned...
I appreciate everyone's input!

You said that you head them crowing loudly. Was it the egg song or something different (an actual crowing like a rooster)?

Well, Peck was doing the crowing... could have been the egg song, but she isn't laying yet...
roll.png

They are 4+ months old? They both are pullets.

Early crowing sounds like someone strangling a trombone player. I have one now that just started and sounds like he's dying - really pathetic. The egg song sounds like bok bok bok bok BAGAWWWK and it's really loud.

Quote:
yes! I think it was more like an egg call... maybe I'm just looking forward to more eggs soon!

thanks again everyone--you are all so helpful
smile.png

Those are beautiful birds. I would love to add one to my tiny little back yard flock, but it sounds like they get pretty loud even the hens which may be a problem. I hope they are both pullets. I am in a similar situation with having heard a mystery crow a couple times in the last few weeks but never able to tell who is making it. I posted pictures and it seems pretty torn between people thinking the black austalorp is a roo or the buff orpington is a roo. I am planning on waiting until I get eggs or until I hear crowing more often.

Quote:
well, they have their moments of crowing... say, when I don't let them out of the coop early enough or when a chipmunk is in their face (LOL).. overall tho they are pretty quiet...

I'm going to hope for all hens too. Will let you all know if I have a rooster in here! thanks again

Back
Top Bottom