Uh oh... rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jbethmann, Jul 11, 2011.

1. jbethmann

jbethmann Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2010
    Just saw another SLW post and then sitting outside heard a "hen" crowing loudly. Yikes! I cannot have roosters in my urban flock... [​IMG] will have to take it back to the Agway asap!

Can someone who knows (not me clearly!) please take a look at my "Meet the Flock" Page and see if Bella (who is about 10% larger than the rest) or Peck (who was doing the crowing) (second and third pics down) seem like roosters to you?

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

How old are they in the pictures??

3. jbethmann

Mar 10, 2010
    About 4 months +/- They all started at 3 days, but Bella looks more developed than Peck for sure...

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  4. jbethmann

Mar 10, 2010
    I've been scanning the boards trying to get a read on whether my Peck is a she or a he... took a new picture today

[​IMG]
    here she is after a loud cackle/crowing session. Peck is very skittish and the lowest on the ladder in the flock at this point

[​IMG]
    here she is with Bella, (Peck is on the left, Bella on the right). Bella has much more comb and is larger, but not crowing...

Any thoughts?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  5. sdeneen2001

sdeneen2001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    Peck looks like a Pullet about to start laying, Bella looks like a roo, would need to see the tail better, but judging by the white on the chest...

6. jbethmann

Mar 10, 2010
    Thanks so much!!

Bella does have a fluffy butt...but I was worried about her too for a while, until Peck started being so LOUD!

... this is Bella last week

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  7. TeriyakiChicken

TeriyakiChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Western Australia
    I think pullet and roo.

are they silver laced wyandottes? I have a SLW roo called lucy. he wants a boy name [​IMG]

8. Jasmine1998

Jasmine1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2010
    Montgomery County
    I think they are both hens.....just the one with more white has the wrong kind of comb. My GLW at 4 months had much larger tail feathers & saddle feathers.

9. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Quote:I agree with this.. Peck looks like a pullet and Bella looks like a roo.

10. Jasmine1998

Jasmine1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2010
    Montgomery County
    This was my gold Laced Wyandotte Roo at exactly 4 months old....see the saddle feathers & tails feathers - your bird does not have any of this.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by