Uh oh!

Morgan7782

Dense Egg Goo
9 Years
Mar 22, 2010
Sacramento CA
Alright so I found a home for one of my thought to be Wyandotte cockerels the other day. One of my red Wyandottes was another maybe cockerel. I went out today and noticed said red Wyandotte has some pretty reddish wattles. Comb is not red or pink at all, it is a flesh orange color. When do Wyandotte pullets start getting redder or pinker wattles? I am guessing she/he is around 10 or 11 weeks give or take a week. Here are a few updated pictures sorry they are not of best quality, the new Brahma kept herding them away from the camera LOL. Hopefully somebody will have a roo or pullet vote! Butternut acts very pulletish, have not seen any behavior signs of a cockerel.

Butternut:
Butternut001.jpg

Butternut002.jpg

Butternut004.jpg

Butternut005.jpg

Butternut007.jpg

Butternut008.jpg

Butternut013.jpg

Next to a 3 gallon water bucket (I think!) to see size:
Butternut014.jpg

Butternut015.jpg

Butternut016.jpg

Butternut017.jpg

Butternut018.jpg

Thanks for any input!

I got no experience with Wyandottes (sorry!) but that tail is looking very girly to me.
Did he/she try to peck the camera?
tongue.png
The fella in my avvie did
roll.png
- stratched the case too, booger.
Good luck!
big_smile.png

I sure hope so, she is very sweet I really enjoy her. She is the only one who always comes up to me when I visit, without fail! I have a 5 month old Brahma in with them, and she kept trying to keep the Wyandottes from getting pictures taken. It reminded me of Micheal Jackson and "blanket" LOL!

And yep, she was trying to get the camera. Plus I was holding my hand out to try and get good pictures of her wattles so she kept trying to see what I was holding
big_smile.png
I hopehopehope she is a girl.

I think she's a she. I have GLW, and I could tell at a pretty young age which one was the male. (I had two pullets and a cockerel--day old chicks.)

My vote is GIRL! She's very pretty, BTW.

Sharon

i don't have a lot of dottie experience, either, but it looks like a pullet to me, too. I think if it was a cockerel, the comb would be much redder by now; also, its legs aren't super duper thick like a cockerel's would be.

Great answers all! Just what I want to hear! She is a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte, and is a hatchery bird which explains the lack of lacing. I don't mind though, she is VERY super friendly and sweet. I am positive her sisters are all pullets, and glad to hear there is a good chance of her being a HER. I just went outside this morning and saw a bit more red in her face and thought "oh snap. A boy" and I can't have roosters where I am.

My bantam cockerel started getting red-very red-around 8 weeks. He started getting that tell-tale curve to his tail around 3 months, with a nice green sheen. Still a little early to tell. I was hoping he was a girl too. So far, though, he's been ok. Started crowing on July 4th, but it only lasted a few days.
roll.png
We take him in at 5am and put him back out at 8:30. so far, so good!
hide.gif
fl.gif

Here they are at 7 weeks, he's on the left
51942_100_1960.jpg

This is Marshall this past week
51942_dsc00203.jpg

This is Bossy (pullet)
51942_dsc00189.jpg

Back
Top Bottom