Uh oh!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Morgan7782, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Alright so I found a home for one of my thought to be Wyandotte cockerels the other day. One of my red Wyandottes was another maybe cockerel. I went out today and noticed said red Wyandotte has some pretty reddish wattles. Comb is not red or pink at all, it is a flesh orange color. When do Wyandotte pullets start getting redder or pinker wattles? I am guessing she/he is around 10 or 11 weeks give or take a week. Here are a few updated pictures sorry they are not of best quality, the new Brahma kept herding them away from the camera LOL. Hopefully somebody will have a roo or pullet vote! Butternut acts very pulletish, have not seen any behavior signs of a cockerel.

Butternut:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next to a 3 gallon water bucket (I think!) to see size:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for any input!

2. dappertophatter

dappertophatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    The Jersey Shore
    I got no experience with Wyandottes (sorry!) but that tail is looking very girly to me.
    Did he/she try to peck the camera? [​IMG] The fella in my avvie did [​IMG]- stratched the case too, booger.
    Good luck![​IMG]

3. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    I sure hope so, she is very sweet I really enjoy her. She is the only one who always comes up to me when I visit, without fail! I have a 5 month old Brahma in with them, and she kept trying to keep the Wyandottes from getting pictures taken. It reminded me of Micheal Jackson and "blanket" LOL!

And yep, she was trying to get the camera. Plus I was holding my hand out to try and get good pictures of her wattles so she kept trying to see what I was holding [​IMG] I hopehopehope she is a girl.

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I think she's a she. I have GLW, and I could tell at a pretty young age which one was the male. (I had two pullets and a cockerel--day old chicks.)

My vote is GIRL! She's very pretty, BTW.

Sharon

5. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    i don't have a lot of dottie experience, either, but it looks like a pullet to me, too. I think if it was a cockerel, the comb would be much redder by now; also, its legs aren't super duper thick like a cockerel's would be.

6. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Great answers all! Just what I want to hear! She is a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte, and is a hatchery bird which explains the lack of lacing. I don't mind though, she is VERY super friendly and sweet. I am positive her sisters are all pullets, and glad to hear there is a good chance of her being a HER. I just went outside this morning and saw a bit more red in her face and thought "oh snap. A boy" and I can't have roosters where I am.

7. BC_Farms

BC_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2010
    Enfield & Chaplin CT
    Pullet!

8. spikennipper

spikennipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    That's a hen.

9. little blue

little blue Chillin' with my Orps

Jul 11, 2010
    Mansfield, CT
    looks like a hen [​IMG]

10. kickinchicken

kickinchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rhode Island
    My bantam cockerel started getting red-very red-around 8 weeks. He started getting that tell-tale curve to his tail around 3 months, with a nice green sheen. Still a little early to tell. I was hoping he was a girl too. So far, though, he's been ok. Started crowing on July 4th, but it only lasted a few days. [​IMG] We take him in at 5am and put him back out at 8:30. so far, so good! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Here they are at 7 weeks, he's on the left
    [​IMG]

This is Marshall this past week
    [​IMG]

This is Bossy (pullet)
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by