Uh so.. I have no idea where to post this, but..

NinjiChicki

Songster
8 Years
Sep 26, 2014
Ocean Springs, MS
It's almost morning, and we just found a baby squirrel that fell from our front yard tree.

I'm thinking of putting it in a box near where it fell and leaving it til it's mom finds it in the morning, perhaps putting it on the front porch so it's easier to watch for her.

Thoughts? My husband wants to keep it in the house til morning, but I can't imagine being a mom and going to look for it first thing in the morning and it is missing.

It's best to leave it where it is.
Squirrels will fetch the young back to the nest unless there is something seriously wrong with it.

If you do bring it in plan to spend time finding a wildlife rehabilitation place that will take it.
Thank you, that's what was thinking, but it's already brought inside and put under the heating plate, I'll stay up and wait til dawn and put it back outside around where it fell. There are raccoons out and about at the moment so want to keep it safe for now.

So glad to hear it was reunited with it's family. And THANK YOU for bringing it inside. I've done squirrel rehabilitation, and being exposed to the cold can be fatal for young squirrels. Keep an eye out for the baby though as squirrels tend to kick the weak ones out of the nest. If this does happen again, it's likely the parent's have rejected it. Bringing the baby to a rehabilitation center would be a good idea, but do some extensive calling first as many places will euthanize the baby if they're overloaded. For future reference, squirrels can be raised on puppy milk replacer with wet cat food mixed in later on as it grows :)

Again, so glad the baby is back with it's family!

So glad to hear it was reunited with it's family. And THANK YOU for bringing it inside. I've done squirrel rehabilitation, and being exposed to the cold can be fatal for young squirrels. Keep an eye out for the baby though as squirrels tend to kick the weak ones out of the nest. If this does happen again, it's likely the parent's have rejected it. Bringing the baby to a rehabilitation center would be a good idea, but do some extensive calling first as many places will euthanize the baby if they're overloaded. For future reference, squirrels can be raised on puppy milk replacer with wet cat food mixed in later on as it grows :)

I heard a branch fall and happened to be out when it did. That's when I heard its little calls, guessing the parents were out or something then?

But we were not worried about cold temps, more so local predators, we didn't make it under 80 something last night. But it was a reassurance for myself and my husband to have it under a heat plate at least.

I did have our local wildlife rescue ready for this morning incase though, they seem to have a good reputation.

Also thank you so much for the tips on what to feed it, def going to remember it if this happens again, google wasn't being too helpful on what they can and can not have. Yes cat food, no cat food, regular milk, maybe dried milk, nope not dry milk, goat milk, yogurt.. Cold vs hot food.

Well, it's back inside again, I heard another snap, and splash and then saw something swimming in our call ducks' pool.

I don't have anything you recommended at the moment to feed it, but we're putting it under the heat plate to get warm and dry. There's a bowl of yogurt near it, as that's the only dairy we have atm. We will make a run in the morning for some puppy milk replacer and a bottle.

If I get some pictures, can you estimate the age and how long we might need to keep it indoors, and what stage it might be as far as food goes? And how long we might need to keep it indoors? My husband is adamant about raising it and releasing it when it is old enough to be released.

It's very gentle and doesn't at all mind being held either.

It's great that you were available to rescue it again. But I hope you can convince your husband that the best thing for it is to place in the care of a licensed rehabber.

Well, it's back inside again, I heard another snap, and splash and then saw something swimming in our call ducks' pool.

I don't have anything you recommended at the moment to feed it, but we're putting it under the heat plate to get warm and dry. There's a bowl of yogurt near it, as that's the only dairy we have atm. We will make a run in the morning for some puppy milk replacer and a bottle.

If I get some pictures, can you estimate the age and how long we might need to keep it indoors, and what stage it might be as far as food goes? And how long we might need to keep it indoors? My husband is adamant about raising it and releasing it when it is old enough to be released.

It's very gentle and doesn't at all mind being held either.
My apologies, I just saw this! Do you have any pictures of the baby? Much will depend on how old it is. That's great that the baby is gentle, but keep an eye out for signs of lethargy or weakness- he may need some B12 (it's safe to use poultry B12 on them)

I don't think it will eat the yogurt, but then again that also depends on the age. If you were able to get the milk for the baby, mixing in some wet cat food will help meet it's required protein levels. Keep a little towel or blanket in with the baby as it will snuggle and use it to "nest", just be prepared to clean out it's enclosure often as their urine can get overwhelming pretty quickly and if left too long can also cause urine burn. If it'll allow you, try gently wiping/cleaning it's tummy with a warm babywipe or washcloth to simulate how the mother would usually groom her babies :)

Back
Top Bottom