Uhmmm How long after a male cat is neutered

Rhett&SarahsMom

Songster
11 Years
May 8, 2008
will he stop spraying?

I brought Mick to get fixed last Thursday and picked him up Friday morning. He is still walking around spraying and meowing like he wasnt fixed at all. In fact he still looks like he has his pom poms back there.

I have never had a male cat before. Only females

how old is the cat?

Male dogs and cats that are neutered after full sexual maturity can sometimes retain some of the pre-neutering behaviors for a long time, unfortunately.

Quote:
he was a year old in Feb. His twin brother(same litter) was taken the week before and hasnt done it since.

hmmm... a year is slightly old but not too bad. I would think he'll stop. Hopefully they got everything with the surgery... I have a neutered dog and it turns out they only removed one testicle because the other wasn't descended, so he's not fully fixed. That stuff can happen too, but I would just give him some time and see if it doesn't go away...

It can take several months for the hormonal level to go down. Its not an instant "fix". Now if the spraying has become a habbit it can be difficult to break. Will take a while for the smell to go away also if it has already started.

thanks.
Until he stops he is banned from the bedrooms again. darn it.
At least Indy isnt walking around spraying still. Dh is not going to be happy.
roll.png

Quote:
I scrubbed the house last weekend with some really good cleaner we found online. Got the majority of the stink out of the house when we bought it from the previous renters dogs. Guess I am going to be buying more.

I hadn't heard that, but I will look into it, thanks for the tip.

And to be perfectly honest, I am only guessing that there is a testicle left that hasn't descended and wasn't removed. It's because when he got to be two or three years old (I can't really remember - he was neutered at 5 months, though), he started doing this weird thing where his male organ gets hard and turns purple and he starts to hump the air and he can't stop. He doesn't try to hump our female dog or anything else... he just tries to walk around and his body seems to be doing this humping motion involuntarily while he is walking. It's kinda funny and sad at the same time. He looks so uncomfortable and he bites at his swollen organ and wants to stop humping and can't. And, except when that happens, he's never humped anything or acted overtly "male." Anyway... I have researched it a bunch on the internet and all the people say the same thing - undescended testical that was missed during neutering. But, I guess it could be something else.

As for the cat... I have known cats that continued to spray their whole lives after being neutered if they had already started before the surgery. Like other people have said, though... it'll probably go away with time.

We just took our year old tom in to be neutered and the vet told us that the way they perform the removal now they leave the little "sac's" back there. So ours still looks like he has his Pom Poms too.
big_smile.png

We got some new puppies around the time that he was fixed and he wasn't real happy about them. He sprayed his territory a couple of times, too.

I read that it can take a couple of months for them to stop spraying as the hormone levels drop.

He has since stopped, to my great delight.

The weird thing was our very overweight, been-spayed-since-she-was-6-weeks-old female cat joined in and started doing the retromingent spraying thing too!!!

Turns out even females cats will spray if they feel that their territory is threatened.

I thank God every day that everyone has adjusted!

Back
Top Bottom