UK Gosling Grower’s Feed and gosling weight

Reebz

Chirping
Jun 2, 2020
Hellooo!!! :D
So my (not so little) sidekick is going to be a month old in a few days, and I am aware I will need to start introducing her onto grower’s pellets and weaning her off the starter crumb.

She is currently around 1,750g/close to 4lbs -(I struggle to weigh her as my scales are quite small and she’s getting quite big lol).

Would anyone be able to give me a weight reference for the weight of a typical Embden goose at 4 weeks old? I just want to make sure I’m on the right track with her, as she’s really special to me.

I was also wondering if anyone UK-based had any recommendations for a good quality gosling/waterfowl grower’s feed? (To be honest, I really struggled to find the right starter crumb, having had no previous experience with rearing a goose).

At the moment she is on a crumb which has a protein content of 19%. I supplement this with the relevant crumb-to-brewer’s ratio of Brewer’s Yeast powder, and Chick Flint and Oyster-Shell grit. In her drinking water, I add the relevant ratios of liquid Zolcal-D (calcium and D3).

Both her food and water are replenished freshly throughout the day, to minimise any potential bacteria growth and subsequent stomach upsets. Alongside this, she also eats a variety of leafy greens and grass when she is grazing.

If anyone could recommend a good grower’s feed, and provide some gosling weight references, I’d be mega grateful! <3
A61A6C85-9406-45DE-87BA-E7E217E41270.jpeg
A8CAEAA8-A684-487E-BA14-C8EDE169521A.jpeg
8225EFF5-497E-46DC-9D04-3208C32D4F45.jpeg

Last edited:
Hiya Reebz, i'm in Leeds. My oldest is just over six weeeks old... I started them on the smallholder range of starter crumb but it's just about time for him to move onto pellets and i've picked up the Marriages brand, not used it yet but you can get it here: https://www.farmandpetplace.co.uk/s...ry-feed/goose-duck-and-quail-feed/page-1.html

Ace! Thank you sooo much for that! :D That’s fab, I will order some of that! And a big Hello from me and my feathered brethren from Gloucestershire:lol:

I wouldn't be surprised if @Miss Lydia and @Goosebaby can give you some great advice about your baby too - I'm a first time goose parent and these guys have been mega helpful to me.

Only....you might have to bribe them with cute gosling pictures.

ahaha I’m confident I could arrange the cutest ever gosling pictures no problem!:lol::love I would be so grateful for any advice, and of course I’ll always do my best to return the favour with any (limited) knowledge I can offer!:lol::highfive:

@Reebz I'm living in Manchester and have a 4 day old Embden x Pilgrim cross which looks just like the little gosling in your picture. I tried incubating 4 eggs but only 1 hatched. My little gosling cries constantly as soon as it can't see me. Did you find it the same and do you have any tips especially for getting it to sleep at night?
g3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom