UK Member Please Say HI

Has anyone dealt with this?

I am happy to sort it but here in UK we cannot just go and buy local anesthetic or antibiotics.

I can Lance it and see how it goes but there could be firing body in there which will come back.

I'm going to go to my local farm supplies to see what they have.

I'm afraid I haven't no.

I think just doing what you can with what you have available is the only option barring going to the vet. I would certainly suggest you get some vet wrap to cover the wound. Feed shop should have that in and some of the other bits you will need from the article below.

This is a great article to have a read through first, it has a good section on bumble foot ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/leg-foot-and-toe-issues-in-poultry-of-all-ages

Last edited:
Has anyone dealt with this?

I am happy to sort it but here in UK we cannot just go and buy local anesthetic or antibiotics.

I can Lance it and see how it goes but there could be firing body in there which will come back.

I'm going to go to my local farm supplies to see what they have.

I had a hen with bumblefoot last year, I vet-wrapped it to protect from further nasties but ultimately took her to the vets who gave me a couse of Baytril. Cleared up beautifully after about a week or so. Wasn't too costly, about £30 all in.

Thanks for the link Yorkshire Coop.
It was a good read.
I started to think it may be worse ( the next ailment below in the link. Can't remember the name ) however , I have just scrubbed her foot and there is defiantly a proud scab/head.
I am off to the chemist and mole country Store to

Wishing you all luck..... especially you though for referring to your wife as "wide"!
ep.gif

It will help to give her feet (the chicken not your wife!) a good soak in a warm Epsom Salts bath first to soften it.... if you can find a big trug and put a couple of inches in the bottom and stand the bird in it and place a heavy rug over the top to make it dark, she should just stand in there and switch off for half an hour rather than you have to hold her.... and then flush well with anti bacterial wash (Hibiscrub) afterwards before dressing and wrapping it..

Keeping fingers crossed it all goes well. That foot looks pretty infected.

This is quite tough.

My father was a butcher and had his own business. I worked for him while a teenager and killed chickens as a kid.

I never thought as quite so sensitive. This hen was one of our first and she was named by the rest of my clan.

So I got all prepared for a bumble foot operation because I was certain it was after scrubbing her foot earlier today and inspecting it.

Spent money at the chemist and the local Mole Country Store so I was able to treat her and it would appear I am wrong.
All the things I bought will be used again , I am sure, but I feel deflated now as I am going to dispatch her.

I have to take the economic view and cut my losses rather than spending many times her value on vets and medicines.

I didn't mind killing a hen for food when I was young and we haven't started our meat flock yet.
I do have a little sadness that our double yolker hen will most probably be culled this evening.
1f61b.png
1f61b.png
1f61b.png

Back
Top Bottom