UK Member Please Say HI

Hi Everyone,

Living in Birmingham UK. Looking to build my own coop and run. Had in mind around 10 birds. What size would you recommend for coop size for our winters?

Run will be 7ft by at least 13/14ft

Last edited:
I think the general rule is to have a minimum of 4 feet square per bird, although if it is a bantam than less, and if it is a huge breed (such as Brahmas, Jersey Giants, etc) than more. I'd reccomend making it a bit bigger, since if you do decide to get more hens (and chicken keeping is VERY addictive) than its easier than trying to add extensions on.

Hi Everyone,

Living in Birmingham UK. Looking to build my own coop and run. Had in mind around 10 birds. What size would you recommend for coop size for our winters?

Hi Everyone,

Hi & welcome to the thread :frow

Different things work for different people when it comes to coops and runs. Ventilation is the main thing to have in any coop so the condensation from the birds breath and poop can escape. Without good ventilation coops can soon become damp.
This article is a great read ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-much-room-do-chickens-need

Hiyah all...not been on here for a while, just been mad busy with all the dog walking/bird duties/child duties and general housework. When i get a spare hour, I'll spin through all the (152) "replies" that I haven't yet read on the thread.

Well, I'm glad the lockdown is over, my flock are thrilled to be back to normal routine and free ranging all over the place, just in time, the grass was getting long! I have a broody (a Partridge Silkie...no surprise there) who started sitting 2 days ago. I wont hold out much hope though, my cockerels were only hatched last Summer and although they seem to be doing the business, I'm yet to be convinced of there fertility. She is sitting on a right old mixture of eggs, Legbar eggs, Silkie eggs, Welsummer eggs etc....My boys are a Splash Silkie and a Buff Orpington so I could end up with some odd hybrids if the Silkie eggs don't hatch!

@Yorkshirecoop How is the Hatch-a-long going? You must be due soon???!!!

I'm off on a holiday a week Friday (7th April) for 10 days and I can't wait. Some sun and rest (if my o/h will sit for a minute) will be gratefully appreciated. Got the 12 year old in tow but she should be okay, except for the mood swings!. My neighbour is on chucks and ducks duty, I'll miss them terribly but they're in good hands.

Hope everyone else is okay and that you can now all enjoy the free ranging experience once again...

Sasha xx

Has anyone hatched in egg cartons on here? My shipped runner eggs had saddle shaped air cells so I put them in a carton but I'm worrying about it now incase they can't get out properly! Anyone?

I've hatched chicken eggs in cartons with no problems. I had 12 polish eggs posted to me and I hatched them all in cartons resulting in a 12/12 hatch.
I like the carton method as you can monitor pips easily and it saves on a bit of cleaning from the hatch gunk. I've done eggs in them that have not been shipped just because I like it. The only thing you can't see in cartons is a wrong end pip but I've never had that happen.
Here are some of my others from cartons ~

I've hatched chicken eggs in cartons with no problems. I had 12 polish eggs posted to me and I hatched them all in cartons resulting in a 12/12 hatch.
I like the carton method as you can monitor pips easily and it saves on a bit of cleaning from the hatch gunk. I've done eggs in them that have not been shipped just because I like it. The only thing you can't see in cartons is a wrong end pip but I've never had that happen.
Here are some of my others from cartons ~

Aww beautiful babies!! This has put me at ease as I was worried they wouldn't be able to get out of the egg. I tried sorting the air cells but nothing worked
1f914.png
the babies are perfectly fine though so hopefully there will be no problems.

Hiyah all...not been on here for a while, just been mad busy with all the dog walking/bird duties/child duties and general housework. When i get a spare hour, I'll spin through all the (152) "replies" that I haven't yet read on the thread.

Well, I'm glad the lockdown is over, my flock are thrilled to be back to normal routine and free ranging all over the place, just in time, the grass was getting long! I have a broody (a Partridge Silkie...no surprise there) who started sitting 2 days ago. I wont hold out much hope though, my cockerels were only hatched last Summer and although they seem to be doing the business, I'm yet to be convinced of there fertility. She is sitting on a right old mixture of eggs, Legbar eggs, Silkie eggs, Welsummer eggs etc....My boys are a Splash Silkie and a Buff Orpington so I could end up with some odd hybrids if the Silkie eggs don't hatch!

@Yorkshirecoop How is the Hatch-a-long going? You must be due soon???!!!

I'm off on a holiday a week Friday (7th April) for 10 days and I can't wait. Some sun and rest (if my o/h will sit for a minute) will be gratefully appreciated. Got the 12 year old in tow but she should be okay, except for the mood swings!. My neighbour is on chucks and ducks duty, I'll miss them terribly but they're in good hands.

Hope everyone else is okay and that you can now all enjoy the free ranging experience once again...

Sasha xx

Hope the broody is doing ok Sasha? I'd love another broody but it does not seem to be on the horizon anytime soon.

Hatch a long eggs have only been in 6 days so I will candle tomorrow to see what is happening in them, fingers crossed something is happening in them but I'm not overly confident on the dinosaur goose eggs!

Hope you have a nice holiday :D I'm on animal duty for my parents at the minute as they have gone to Tenerife for a couple of weeks.
Wait until your 12 year old gets to 15 and has the bigger mood swings. I know Charlie is a boy but goodness he can be grumpy right now. He's not in the best of moods today as he's on the final stretch with his braces and they have put elastic bands on today at his appointment. They look pretty weird, elastic bands going from his top teeth to the bottom teeth holding his mouth together. We had another one of those I will never eat again scenarios. I have to admit it must be pretty hard work but he should have a nice straight pair of gnashers when he's done :lol:

Back
Top Bottom