UK Member Please Say HI

how lovely! have you had chickens before or is this your first time?
I’ve had chickens before at my previous house, we only moved last year. I used to keep a variety! Had Pekins, Seramas at one point, Silver Sebrights, some crosses, my gorgeous buff Orpington, and my Salmon Faverolles. Bearded Silkie bantams. I’m looking into getting a roofed run, as I had 2 little Pekin crosses last year, and my neighbours cat is a killer, and dragged her over the fence. I jumped over and got her but she died in my hands, so I took the other little bantam back, as I was terrified of her getting taken too. Never known a cat to kill chickens. Maple, my commercial ex layer attacks my dogs, so I know she’s ok free ranging our garden! She would attack a cat, I know for sure!

Looks like we have to net off the free range area? Not super clear to be honest... hopefully not the same restrictions as last year! :fl
your best bet is to keep an eye on the Gov/Defra/APHA website for advice. The rules are set independently in England, Scotland and Wales and do not always coincide completely. The main thing is to try to prevent your birds mingling with local or migratory waterfowl - ducks, geese, swans principally - or foraging in places that they may have pooed in or flown over.

Yep, flockdown 2021 is happening :(
Just got the APHA email for all UK bird keepers:

Latest situation

Update 24 November 2021:

The Chief Veterinary Officers for England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have agreed to bring in new measures to help protect poultry and captive birds. The new housing measures will come into force across the UK from 00:01 on Monday 29 November 2021 to protect poultry and captive birds from avian influenza following a number of confirmed cases across Great Britain in recent weeks.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/avian-influenza-bird-flu

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/avian-flu-uk-here-we-go-again.1499988/post-25139314

I had noticed we had been getting more and more alerts from APHA so realised this was likely :(

Fortunately for my girls I built my run with a solid roof - but that wasn't because of this (predators). I guess I should go and disconnect my water butt from the guttering.

Back
Top Bottom