UK Member Please Say HI

Pics
Hi

Yes, all named and all loved.

I only started keeping chickens last year when I rescued a hen from absolute squalor. A tenant of mine had her in a tiny shed with 40 quail on shelves above her and she only saw artificial light for several months. I reported him to the RSPCA and adopted the hen rather than her be bumped off. We called her Arrietta and housed her in a large coop and outside run. We bought Bess, an AmberLink to keep her company. I then rescued two Egg farm hens (about to be culled) Daphne and Velma.

Bitten by the chicken 'bug' I then bought some hatching eggs with the intention of keeping the resulting hens and raising any males for the table. This all changed when I (and my grandson) had hatched, named and nurtured them and not only did the possibility of the boys ending on the table disappear but our general consumption of chicken decreased to almost non existent!!

We have rehomed five cockerels, Bo, Chip, Tilly, Floyd and Pierre to new homes and they each head up their own flock.

We have a lovely Cockerel, Pingu, a Barred Rock with his 9 girls.

We have Patch, a gold spangled Hamburg Cockerel with his 5 girls, two pekin bantams, a silver spangled hamburg, a small Light Sussex and a White Bresse.

We also have two Bachelors, Terry, a Buff Leghorn and Matt a mixed breed crested who ideally need new homes but they are going nowhere if a loving home can be found.

Hi
Im from Luton. I have 11 big girls 4 silkie 1 small cockerel. Im getting 10 eggs a day. Even its mid of January. Loving it.

Hi :welcome & the thread!

I'm so jealous of your 10 eggs a day!! I've got a few laying now but no more than three eggs a day right now, all mine seem to be a bunch free loaders right now!!
But they are great garden ornaments!!
How long have you been keeping them?

Hi

Yes, all named and all loved.

I only started keeping chickens last year when I rescued a hen from absolute squalor. A tenant of mine had her in a tiny shed with 40 quail on shelves above her and she only saw artificial light for several months. I reported him to the RSPCA and adopted the hen rather than her be bumped off. We called her Arrietta and housed her in a large coop and outside run. We bought Bess, an AmberLink to keep her company. I then rescued two Egg farm hens (about to be culled) Daphne and Velma.

Bitten by the chicken 'bug' I then bought some hatching eggs with the intention of keeping the resulting hens and raising any males for the table. This all changed when I (and my grandson) had hatched, named and nurtured them and not only did the possibility of the boys ending on the table disappear but our general consumption of chicken decreased to almost non existent!!

We have rehomed five cockerels, Bo, Chip, Tilly, Floyd and Pierre to new homes and they each head up their own flock.

We have a lovely Cockerel, Pingu, a Barred Rock with his 9 girls.

We have Patch, a gold spangled Hamburg Cockerel with his 5 girls, two pekin bantams, a silver spangled hamburg, a small Light Sussex and a White Bresse.

We also have two Bachelors, Terry, a Buff Leghorn and Matt a mixed breed crested who ideally need new homes but they are going nowhere if a loving home can be found.

that should have read "We also have two Bachelors, Terry, a Buff Leghorn and Matt a mixed breed crested who ideally need new homes but they are going nowhere unless a loving home can be found"

It sure does sound like you have been bitten by the bug!! That so nice of you to rescue birds when they need it. Hatching sure can become addictive, I love it. Im afraid my boys get culled if I can't find new homes for them. But if your able to keep them in a batchelor group good for you. I just don't have the room to keep everything.

Its been 6 months. But i think it depends what u feed them.i feed them layers. Corn wheat and most importantly sunflower seeds. Water in it apple cider vinegar.

Nice egg basket there :D

Are yours all pullets? I'm afraid mine are mainly hens so have been going through moult which inturn stopped them laying. Two of my current layers are pullets who I hatched last spring/summer. My other layer is my Amber link who is just a laying machine and just slows down a bit in the laying department. All my others are polish who are not the most prolific layers in the world.

Ginny the Amber ~

Morning all, my mornings are getting earlier and earlier with the sun, so mixed with my 8 month old daughter i fear the wondrous lie-in is getting very rare.

With a coating of snow on the ground i have discovered that my 4 hens are definitely warm weather birds and do not enjoy me disturbing them in their coop whilst cleaning.

Despite me braving these arctic conditions, and early mornings i still have not had any eggs. Its been 3 weeks now and i've just had to buy two dozen eggs again
he.gif

I have discovered however, that they are chickens of im-PECK-able taste! we had some gruyere cheese left over from dinner yesterday, even the leghorns ate the little cubes of it out of my hand!

All these chickens are making me jealous ;). I've had another patch of land fall through now I'm starting a campaign for the local parish council to provide allotments for the community but I can see that it's going to feel like I'm weeing in the wind. I've sent two emails off, one letter and if they've not replied to either by Thursday I'm starting the phone calls!

Back
Top Bottom