UK Member Please Say HI

My daughter wants to sell our excess eggs but I'd be worried about litigation from people who get ill from some other cause but automatically assume it's my eggs. They are laying at a ludicrous rate, though.

This is their coop now. I grow veggies on the roof and there's a drainpipe and plughole that I'm going to turn into an automatic watering system with a water butt I have. :) It's got a decent amount of space for when they're shut in, but I hate not letting them into their little trees + turf + woodchip area.

I'm intending to get a fourth chicken, and for once not an ex-battery, because I want to make sure it's a small one. Someone near me is selling silkies, so I'll get one of those. Hopefully it won't get picked on too much by the bigger birds; they don't fight between each other right now.

Hi all.

Such an exciting time. I'm in Cardiff with 4 beautiful hybrid hens (all different so I can name them and note their personalities) they seem to be settling in well.

Had a 2 hour drive each way to get them but they are little damp bundles of joy at the moment on account of the mixed weather. Already got the cuties eating out of my hand and comfortable (ish) with being stroked. :D

Can't wait for the eggs now!!!

@scifisam

Nice looking coop there!! I've never poisoned anyone yet with eggs so I'm going ahead with selling them. Got my sign up today so fingers crossed the eggs start selling!!
Silkies are nice birds but I would just say they can be at the bottom of the pecking order so if you get one I would just watch your bigger girls carefully. Silkies are also excellent broody hens so don't be surprised if she decides to sit. Good luck with your new addition :highfive:

@TopCrock

Welcome to the thread :frow

@rebrascora

Get the flags out Barbara!! I've ridden Harry today! :clap We went in the new school for the first time as the smaller one was already being used. We had one argument when he got a bit on the excitable side but barring that all good :D

Hope all is good for you :highfive:

Nearly forgot my new sign up in the tree so folk passing can see ~

Made my first egg sale today, only a £1 but it's a start :ya

My sign maybe working, just need some regulars now. Non of the neighbours have called in though :/

Once they know they're there they'll come a knocking!!

Do you have a trust box outside? Most I've seen leave them out in cartoons so people don't have to be social! ;)

I had my first egg today!!! 57g from the rhode rock Valerie! So chuffed. It's on the thin side but taller than stall bought mediums. I'm just hoping she keeps it up!

Congrats on your first egg :clap

I've thought about a little egg stand and honesty box in my front porch but #1 Magpies!! Pain in the rear and they can sniff eggs out!! #2 The honesty box would not last 2 minutes neither would the eggs. Certain folk can't keep their hands to themselves. We have a little farm shop up the road and she had a stand out with honesty box and they were coming and nicking all the veg!! Not just an odd cabbage but the whole lot!!

afternoon all!

havnt been on in a while, was away with work and its just become so busy and havnt had the time to get on here.

anyway, i got home from my initial two week trip to be greeted by not one but two broody hens (both pekins so sort of expected) no amount of uncomfort made them change their mind so the wife did a bit of research and concluded that the best way to break them was to get some eggs for them to hatch. So i reluctantly agreed with the agreement that any new chickens will be destined for the pot.

so we now have 2 RIR eggs, also one which i think is a wynadotte but cant remember and another one which has the abbreviation BO on the egg, but neither me nor the wife can remember what it was.

so they were put under one of the hens (the other has fakes but should hopefully be content when she sees the chicks) on saturday, making today day 5. if i candle them now i imagine i wont see much especially as they arnt white eggs?

hope you are all well!

haha, i know they are all going to be very nice, but if all 4 hatch it will double our numbers. I'm trying to get it into my wifes head that they are for food even the ones we will be keeping are for eggs, and we already have a constant surplus of eggs with only 4 layers!

They're going to be nice and big. We started off with 4 too, 2 years later i have 24 chucks and 5 ducks. My other half keeps telling me "no more" but he can't resist when we go the county shows! I sell my excess eggs and they pay for their upkeep nicely.

Back
Top Bottom