UK Member Please Say HI

Oh goodness me...what a weekend. Don't beat yourself about it, the duckling's foot will heal fine, a few of my ducks have had webbing injuries for various reasons, they fix amazingly and are so resilient. The duckling drowning is a sad affair, a real shame but a learning curve, they're like kids, even a small amount of water can be dangerous....despite being a duck, they cant swim so brill in deep water as youngsters, due to the short feet and downy feathers...it's okay, we all make a little mistake sometimes. The others are all great so you can concentrate on them thriving. Enjoy the rest of the flock and have a good Bank Holiday. Don't be too upset...it's ok. Big love!! Xx

You are not the weather god.  It is not your fault.  It feels that way - I cried for days after I lost my first girls to a dog attack - but from what I see here you did your best, it's just events took over :(  So sorry for your loss.  :hugs

Thank you for the kind words, it does make me feel a bit better to have some reassurance that I'm not the worlds worst duck owner! I'm sure I will be able to move on from it eventually, it's just been a particularly stressful time for me as I am starting my first full time job tomorrow, and I have my Masters exams next week...so I really didn't need all of this weekends events! Think Pekin drowning was just the final straw and everything came out of me in one big gush.
Thank you so much, it really does help
2764.png

Thank you for the kind words, it does make me feel a bit better to have some reassurance that I'm not the worlds worst duck owner! I'm sure I will be able to move on from it eventually, it's just been a particularly stressful time for me as I am starting my first full time job tomorrow, and I have my Masters exams next week...so I really didn't need all of this weekends events! Think Pekin drowning was just the final straw and everything came out of me in one big gush.
Thank you so much, it really does help
2764.png

You're welcome. Hey, best of luck in the new job and for the degree...what are you majoring in? Xx

You're welcome. Hey, best of luck in the new job and for the degree...what are you majoring in? Xx

Thanks...I'm a little nervous but I'm sure I'll get into the swing of it ^_^
I did Neuroscience as my BSc at University of Leeds, now I'm doing Stem Cells & Regeneration with University of Bristol, but I am doing it all long distance, so everything is online. Travelling down to Bristol on Sunday, can't decide what I am more worried about, the exams, or leaving my ducks and chickens in the care of my parents! Lol!

Hi Georgie, hope your feeling better :hugs These things really do just happen and it's all a learning curve. I'm so sorry you lost Pekin :hugs
I know I've made my fair share of mistakes in the past where my birds are concerned. I lost all my birds once to a fox and it was totally my fault for thinking a fox could not could not get to them. Did I learn, yes I sure did. Don't beat yourself about Pekin :hugs

Good luck with your new job and with heading down to Bristol, I'm sure your parents will do a great job :D

Good afternoon all! After a month of heat in the Arizona desert I'm back.

Whilst I've been away one of our banthams sadly died. Unsure why but my wife said the vet she took it too said it didn't seem to be anything infectious etc. She could have been quite old as she was a rescue. Our other bantham has gone bedpost again so is sitting on 5 eggs again. My wife has sadly forgotten what type they should be but assures me that they are meat birds.

The leghorn is doing well and currently our only egg producer.

Below is a picture of the two chicks we kept. Still unsure as to what they are but fairly certain the white one is a brahma.

So need to decide what to do with them. They will be 6 months at x-mas so the brahma might be instead of a Turkey. 6 months should be long enough for her to get tasty. The eggs currently being sat in will only be 3.5 months at xmas so probably still too young to eat.

Any ideas on the other unknown one?

Cheers all

:frow I Bet you feel cold now your back from the desert! I know I'm nosey but what do you do In the desert?

Sorry to hear you lost a bantam whilst you were away :( More chicks though hopefully with the one you have sitting :clap
Home reared chicken sounds good for Christmas! Nothing I have would even feed one person!
I too think you have Sussex there but maybe a cross of Sussex. Am I seeing right and it has feathery feet? :D

Last edited:
Hi Georgie, hope your feeling better :hugs These things really do just happen and it's all a learning curve. I'm so sorry you lost Pekin :hugs
I know I've made my fair share of mistakes in the past where my birds are concerned. I lost all my birds once to a fox and it was totally my fault for thinking a fox could not could not get to them. Did I learn, yes I sure did. Don't beat yourself about Pekin :hugs

Good luck with your new job and with heading down to Bristol, I'm sure your parents will do a great job :D
Hi Kim,
Thank you for your kind words and reassurance. They really do make all the difference and make me feel a lot better about everything. The other four are outside to enjoy the sun today, if we get any. They all seem happy and healthy enough so that's good enough for me.

:frow I Bet you feel cold now your back from the desert! I know I'm nosey but what do you do In the desert?

Sorry to hear you lost a bantam whilst you were away :( More chicks though hopefully with the one you have sitting :clap
Home reared chicken sounds good for Christmas! Nothing I have would even feed one person!
I too think you have Sussex there but maybe a cross of Sussex. Am I seeing right and it has feathery feet? :D

I was on exercise with the army. It's been nice and warm here in Suffolk since I've been back, so not too bad to adjust to.

Yep. Well hopefully it's a Christmas to ourselves this year, I know my parents are away so hopefully the in-laws are too and we can just relax.

Thanks for the tips on the Sussex, we'll just have to decide if we want to have the brahma or Sussex for xmas dinner as the other will be kept for eggs.

Hi Kim,
Thank you for your kind words and reassurance. They really do make all the difference and make me feel a lot better about everything. The other four are outside to enjoy the sun today, if we get any. They all seem happy and healthy enough so that's good enough for me.

You are most welcome :hugs I'm sure they will enjoy some sun on their backs! It's out here so hope it is for you too :D

I was on exercise with the army. It's been nice and warm here in Suffolk since I've been back, so not too bad to adjust to.

Yep. Well hopefully it's a Christmas to ourselves this year, I know my parents are away so hopefully the in-laws are too and we can just relax.

Thanks for the tips on the Sussex, we'll just have to decide if we want to have the brahma or Sussex for xmas dinner as the other will be kept for eggs.

I see now why you would be in the desert. You must spend a lot of time away from home.
I forgot you are south, I saw the nice forecast for down there :cool:

I'm away a fair bit. So just had 4.5 weeks in the us. Now have a week here then away for a week. Then back for a week then away for another week. Then I finally get my two weeks summer holiday!

Weather is lovely down here, the chickens are enjoying it. Now begins the quest to get a nice big and tasty brahma ready for xmas dinner!

Back
Top Bottom