UK Member Please Say HI

@Yorkshirecoop

All good here (for now)....many thanks for the pred, I haven't given her any yet as you suggested. She's still got a slight head tilt, whether the muscles have just settled there or if it's still the wry neck, I have no idea. I'm giving all the flock some vits and adding selenium liquid to food here and there so what will be, will be. I do have a young Thuringian that doesn't look great, a few sniffles going round so it may have a touch of Mycoplasma....guess I'd better get sone Tylan from the vets soon.

@timon

Sorry the hen didn't make it, as other members said, they have a rough life so Lord knows what underlying problems she may have had.

Have a good weekend everyone, what's left of it...we've got to tackle the area of lawn that the chucks aren't allowed on, do some prep of the plants for the impending Autumn, trim some hedges (how tedious) and put up some shelves in the garage, but as F1 nuts, the Monza Grand Prix will hold that up!

Kids back to school on Wednesday....yay!! Dreading getting back to the routine school run though, I've enjoyed not rushing round like mad in the morning. My daughter is starting secondary school so I'm anxious how that will go, she can't wait but I'm nervous, no one likes being a little fish in a big pond!

Have a good one all xx

No probs Sasha :highfive: Glad to hear she is still ok even though she has a head tilt. The sniffles tend to work their way through all when one gets a bit under the weather. Have you started your jobs yet? Things get held up here to for F1! Even more held up today as Burghley horse trials are now on :oops: Steady away day but it is Sunday. Charlie back to school on Tuesday and he is not looking forward to it. I'm dreading trying to get him out of the pit on Tuesday morning :( I'm sure your daughter will enjoy secondary school, it's so much different to primary and they grow up quick once there. Charlie is in year 10 when he heads back and I don't know where the time has gone.

Hello everyone.

It's been a few weeks sincebi have posted - all work and not much play for me.
I'm sorry to hear the sad stories by a few,but it is all a learning curve.
I last posted when I had to dispatch a Sussex hybrid because she had a bumblefoot syst which I acted way way too slow to.

However now I will know what it is and operate immediately.

Good news though -my culder ranger went broody again. I put silkie eggs under her this time
Two reasons -they look lovely and funky but also because I would like to have regular broodies. That way i am hoping to keep a meat supply coming.

Those are super cute chicks, so sweet :love Congratulations!

Hi I'm Kim from Hertfordshire I've got three hens a guard cockerel and am attempting to raise three silkie chicks who are still indoors !!
1f601.png
1f603.png

Hi & welcome the thread Kim!

I'm a Kim too so that was pretty weird typing that :D How old are your silkie chicks? Raising chicks is so much fun especially when they are small and super cute!

Last edited:
@rebrascora

Hi Barbara! Get the flags out! I've ridden Harry horse today :woot Not supposed to have done but hey ho you only live once. Had my back looked at and its a bulging/slipped disc that's pressing on my sciatic nerve also causing muscle spasms but it felt better today so I bit the bullet. Sore getting on but not too bad just having a steady walk around the village. Thank goodness Harry behaved himself and he was a good lad. I never gave getting off a second thought untill we got back in the yard :( I tried getting off at the mounting block but could not get him to stand so had to jump off on soft ground and do some serious knee bending! Painful on landing but no extra damage done so all in all I'm pleased I went. Not that my friend I went with was much use getting off as all she could do was laugh at me!! Which set me off and just made the whole getting off thing a big joke. Good job I see the funny side of life, I must admit I must have looked pretty stupid lent forward building myself up to get off!

Hope your driving has gone well and that you have got out on your own horses :fl

Kim xx

No probs Sasha :highfive: Glad to hear she is still ok even though she has a head tilt. The sniffles tend to work their way through all when one gets a bit under the weather. Have you started your jobs yet? Things get held up here to for F1! Even more held up today as Burghley horse trials are now on :oops: Steady away day but it is Sunday. Charlie back to school on Tuesday and he is not looking forward to it. I'm dreading trying to get him out of the pit on Tuesday morning :( I'm sure your daughter will enjoy secondary school, it's so much different to primary and they grow up quick once there. Charlie is in year 10 when he heads back and I don't know where the time has gone.
Those are super cute chicks, so sweet :love Congratulations!
Hi & welcome the thread Kim!

I'm a Kim too so that was pretty weird typing that :D How old are your silkie chicks? Raising chicks is so much fun especially when they are small and super cute!

Hi Kim !! It's great so far first time raising chicks they are nearly four weeks old although one has a snuffle beak and blocked sinuses I think it's doing well in every other way maybe it was just stressed by move or maybe I need antibiotics it also sneezes should I be worried have you had this before ?! Kim xx

Hi

Im not trying to seperate this forum up but i thought it would be nice to know who and how many UK based members there are here

The main reason is then as the members in USA conduct Egg Swaps and Counrty and County based Sales and Advice then we can see who would be best to ask for local advise

So Any UK member just say Hi and state which Town/County your in

I will Start

I'm in UK, West London [Berkshire]

Hi Im in tamworth Staffordshire

Last edited:
Hi Kim !! It's great so far first time raising chicks they are nearly four weeks old although one has a snuffle beak and blocked sinuses I think it's doing well in every other way maybe it was just stressed by move or maybe I need antibiotics it also sneezes should I be worried have you had this before ?! Kim xx

Yes a move can cause stress. They do just sneeze though so it could be that. Do they seem healthy otherwise? If you still have them in the house they may just need some fresh air, brooders sure can get dusty especially when indoors. If you are looking at the antibiotic route you will need to take them to the vet as you can't get them over here without a prescription I'm afraid.

Hi Im in tamworth Staffordshire

Hi & welcome to the thread :frow
What birds do you keep at the moment?

Hello everyone.

It's been a few weeks sincebi have posted - all work and not much play for me.

I'm sorry to hear the sad stories by a few,but it is all a learning curve.
I last posted when I had to dispatch a Sussex hybrid because she had a bumblefoot syst which I acted way way too slow to.

However now I will know what it is and operate immediately.

Good news though -my culder ranger went broody again. I put silkie eggs under her this time
Two reasons -they look lovely and funky but also because I would like to have regular broodies. That way i am hoping to keep a meat supply coming.

My broodies have kindly raised 3 Silkies (+ a few others) for me as surrogates....I love my Silkies, currently have 6, a nightmare to sex as youngsters but so friendly and good broodies I hear...mine have been too young this season so I'm hoping for success with them next year (I also hope 1 of the babies will be a boy).

@Yorkshirecoop

Finally got going after watching Hamilton fail off his pole position, it's going to be a long afternoon/evening as we have some catching up to do! Roll on Wednesday so I can have some peace during the day....am also dreading the "growing up" big time phase now my daughter is about to go to secondary....she's my angel at the moment but I am all too aware that's soon to change! :/

@kimskolfield

Welcome to the thread.....enjoy the Silkies and the raising process. My broodies are starting to distance themselves from the youngsters now so it's all change sadly. I do love to watch the babies trailing around behind mamma all day but 1 of the mom's has gone back in to lay now so sadly...my babies are turning in to bolshy adolescents...:(

Hi Sasha, yes a very poor start from Hamilton :/ Was all his fault too! I know what you mean about peace but I'm going to miss Charlie during the day. With working from home he makes a good distraction!! But on the other hand I get far less done.
Oh yes prepare yourself for the teenage years :th Right now I feel a tad redundant as he is growing up :( He does not need me like he used to do and we only have him. He's out and about with his friends and has really got into his shooting with his Dad so they are always out together. He's not into the horses like he used to be so does not want to come to the yard with me really. I am pleased for him with his shooting and his Dad says he's getting good, he got his first fox a few weeks back and 2 more this week.

Hi Sasha, yes a very poor start from Hamilton :/ Was all his fault too! I know what you mean about peace but I'm going to miss Charlie during the day. With working from home he makes a good distraction!! But on the other hand I get far less done.
Oh yes prepare yourself for the teenage years :th Right now I feel a tad redundant as he is growing up :( He does not need me like he used to do and we only have him. He's out and about with his friends and has really got into his shooting with his Dad so they are always out together. He's not into the horses like he used to be so does not want to come to the yard with me really. I am pleased for him with his shooting and his Dad says he's getting good, he got his first fox a few weeks back and 2 more this week.

Yay!! Well done Charlie! Darn things...hate foxes. We're currently tackling 15+ foot leylandii to take our fencing up to 10ft to stop those vile dogs! We'll beat them yet...my o/h has shot 1 but I'm taking no more chances. It's starting to look like a prison yard here, good job we have plenty of land so it's not too awful looking but with all this space, it's like groundhog day every weekend as there's always fencing to upgrade.

I know what you mean about the daytime company, I too only have the 1 child...I'm a dog walker so the company of her has been nice and it's meant I can take more at once having an extra hand...I'm looking after my neighbours (not the horrible, moany neighbours, a nice one!) 6 year old son tomorrow, she's a student nurse and has exams (yuk)....I can't remember what to do with such a little one....my daughter has always entertained herself with a book or playing with the animals etc...and I've no clue what to do with a boy!! Wish me luck!! :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom