UK Member Please Say HI

Hi all i'm in UK north east - just joined and struggling to find a vet to help my chickens. Backyard chickens are not very common here. Vets just give antibiotics whenever i thick there is something wrong and no other treatment suggested. Anyone else from near me maybe know a good vet?

Hi all i'm in UK north east - just joined and struggling to find a vet to help my chickens. Backyard chickens are not very common here. Vets just give antibiotics whenever i thick there is something wrong and no other treatment suggested. Anyone else from near me maybe know a good vet?

Hi and welcome to the thread :)

I'll just go and have a look through my poultry magazines...... I'm sure one of them have a list of all the poultry gets in the UK......

In the meantime, try posting a thread in this section of the forum:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Best of luck,
Charlotte

Last edited:
Quite mixed aged range flock of hybrids. 2 x Bluebelles, 4 x Warrens, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Lilac Slash Sussex, 2 x Black/Pied Sussex, 1 Speckledy, 1 Nera & 4 (new to me) white leghorns. Just allowing 1st supervised visit of Ginger Rogers & Madame Cluck Cluck to the Leghorns atm!

How about you??? What birds have you got??

Quite mixed aged range flock of hybrids. 2 x Bluebelles, 4 x Warrens, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Lilac Slash Sussex, 2 x Black/Pied Sussex, 1 Speckledy, 1 Nera & 4 (new to me) white leghorns. Just allowing 1st supervised visit of Ginger Rogers & Madame Cluck Cluck to the Leghorns atm!

How about you??? What birds have you got??

Sounds like a lovely flock..... You're probally inundated with eggs :D

I used to have 6 hybrids (Bluebells, Warrans, Light Sussex, Black Rock, etc), but I've now moved onto bantams and ducks.....

I have:
10 Welsh Harlequin Ducks
4 Khaki Campbells
1 White Call Duckling
2 Partridge Wyandotte Bantams (one Pullet and one cockerel)
1 Silver Pencilled Wyandotte Bantam pullet
1 White Silkie Bantam Pullet
1 Silkie x Polish Pullet
1 Wheaten Sulmtaler Pullet
1 Buff Rock Bantam Pullet
And 9 (possibly 11 since the eggs were too dark to candle) crossbreed chicken eggs in the incubator......

Well it's mixed ages, the oldest two, the flock matriarchs- Madame Cluck Cluck (Bluebelle) & Gertrude Peckins (Black/Pied Sussex) do not lay anymore. They are 5-6 years old & have outlasted all the others!! But we get between 6-9 eggs a day from the others. I have regular customers, although I have not taken on currently as many as I could. A few years ago our eggs were so popular that it had gotten to the stage, that as egg production declined, we didn't have any eggs for us! I was not popular with hubby! So I prefer to have plenty of eggs that we can use ourselves & treat neighbours & friends every so often.

Always fancied ducks but we don't have room. How do the ducks & bantams get on?? Do you have to keep them separated???

Well it's mixed ages, the oldest two, the flock matriarchs- Madame Cluck Cluck (Bluebelle) & Gertrude Peckins (Black/Pied Sussex) do not lay anymore. They are 5-6 years old & have outlasted all the others!! But we get between 6-9 eggs a day from the others. I have regular customers, although I have not taken on currently as many as I could. A few years ago our eggs were so popular that it had gotten to the stage, that as egg production declined, we didn't have any eggs for us! I was not popular with hubby! So I prefer to have plenty of eggs that we can use ourselves & treat neighbours & friends every so often.

Always fancied ducks but we don't have room. How do the ducks & bantams get on?? Do you have to keep them separated???

The ducks and bantams do live separately, although they get on just fine, (apart from when the ducks raid the chicken feeder lol :D).

We also have a regular stream of customers- duck eggs are particularly popular, so whenever I'm wanting to bake, I often find that there are no eggs left for ourselves.....

I'm Derbyshire and take mine to Bakewell vets- they seem to know what they're doing. You need to see which vets deal with farm animals as well as standard pets
1f60a.png

Back
Top Bottom