UK Member Please Say HI

Hello & Help !

I have a lethargic chick that I've seen being slow for a couple of days.
She's 12 weeks old and has been running with all the other girls (11 chicks & 6 adults) the past week.

I brought her into the house today as she looked like she needed some support.

When I picked her up she vomited. I read a bit on here, and crop issues seem to be many and varied. I have tried 'emptying' her crop and successfully got her to regurgitate / vomit a yellowy green thick slime without her choking.

Her crop didn't feel or look full, so I had tried to help her eat and Earlier this evening I hand-fed (she's never let me that close before without running away) some boiled egg and water-soaked porridge mixed together. It wasn't that being brought up-just a slimy goo.

I'm not sure she's been eating or drinking today.

Should I let her eat and drink by herself? Should I be syringing water into her? How can I make sure she has food inside to keep her going if she's not eating ?

What would you do to help?

How is your chick @timon?

Hi :frow..I have 8 at the moment, lost 6 ex batts last year, so building up a flock of mixed breeds now.

Sorry to hear you lost your ex batts, hope your flock rebuilding goes well.

Hello & Help !

I have a lethargic chick that I've seen being slow for a couple of days.
She's 12 weeks old and has been running with all the other girls (11 chicks & 6 adults) the past week.

I brought her into the house today as she looked like she needed some support.

When I picked her up she vomited. I read a bit on here, and crop issues seem to be many and varied. I have tried 'emptying' her crop and successfully got her to regurgitate / vomit a yellowy green thick slime without her choking.

Her crop didn't feel or look full, so I had tried to help her eat and Earlier this evening I hand-fed (she's never let me that close before without running away) some boiled egg and water-soaked porridge mixed together. It wasn't that being brought up-just a slimy goo.

I'm not sure she's been eating or drinking today.

Should I let her eat and drink by herself? Should I be syringing water into her? How can I make sure she has food inside to keep her going if she's not eating ?

What would you do to help?
Afraid I don't have anything to offer, but how is your girl doing?

How is your chick @timon?

Sorry to hear you lost your ex batts, hope your flock rebuilding goes well.
I'm having a break from rexcuing more ex batts, heartbreaking to lose them after 12/18mths, i do miss how friendly & loving they were. I have added two cream legbar chicks to my flock & they're lunatics, they do make me chuckle with their antics.

I'm having a break from rexcuing more ex batts, heartbreaking to lose them after 12/18mths, i do miss how friendly & loving they were. I have added two cream legbar chicks to my flock & they're lunatics, they do make me chuckle with their antics.

They have such a tough life the ex batts but at least they have a loving home when they do pass. I too would find it very hard losing them. I've shed many a tear over lost birds, most folk just say "It's only a chicken" but they don't see what you see in them. You should try polish for lunatics and their antics. Crazy critters they are :lol: Friendly yes but they sure do have their crazy moments!

They have such a tough life the ex batts but at least they have a loving home when they do pass. I too would find it very hard losing them. I've shed many a tear over lost birds, most folk just say "It's only a chicken" but they don't see what you see in them. You should try polish for lunatics and their antics. Crazy critters they are :lol: Friendly yes but they sure do have their crazy moments!
Oh no, they are never 'just a chicken', they are beautiful little souls & i'm not afraid to say i've cried over each one i've lost...OMG, Polish are next on my wish list & my daughter wants silkies, so when the broody coop is free it will be filled with more chooks, damn it, i'll need another broody coop next year, ebay shopping again. lol :caf

Oh no, they are never 'just a chicken', they are beautiful little souls & i'm not afraid to say i've cried over each one i've lost...OMG, Polish are next on my wish list & my daughter wants silkies, so when the broody coop is free it will be filled with more chooks, damn it, i'll need another broody coop next year, ebay shopping again. lol :caf
I have a couple of Spitzhauben and they are batty also. Entertaining to watch..especially 'Buffy' - she has to be the most scatterbrained hen ever...:rolleyes:

Thank you all for asking.

She's still alive, but not eating that I can see. I've taken to making a mash from water, chick crumb, syrup and olive oil. Then I'm syringing it into her crop. I've only started this today. I'm hopeful she'll put some weight back on, but I don't know what else to do.

What would you put in a mash you're going to syringe a chick with ?

Glad to hear she is still with you. For me personally I would keep it simple and just use quite runny chick crumb, plain water and give her some vitamins. Either baby vitamins (non iron) or a poultry one like this ~ https://www.amazon.co.uk/Net-Tex-Po...d=1504385085&sr=8-3&keywords=poultry+vitamins

Have you tried tempting her with some hard boiled chopped or scrambled egg?

Are you thinking she has some kind of sour crop? Has she been on any long grass prior to her getting ill?

Glad to hear she is still with you. For me personally I would keep it simple and just use quite runny chick crumb, plain water and give her some vitamins. Either baby vitamins (non iron) or a poultry one like this ~ https://www.amazon.co.uk/Net-Tex-Po...d=1504385085&sr=8-3&keywords=poultry+vitamins

Have you tried tempting her with some hard boiled chopped or scrambled egg?

Are you thinking she has some kind of sour crop? Has she been on any long grass prior to her getting ill?

It could be grass. They've been out a couple of times. 'Supervised' but there's 11, so couldn't guarantee no long grass got down.

I thought she was getting
Picked on, so separated her and noticed how skinny she is.

Yes, I think sour crop-do they fill by themselves slowly-or only through them eating. By the end of the day her crop has been half gul, but not with crumb, just like a squashy ball.

Back
Top Bottom