UK Member Please Say HI

all UK keepers - however few or many birds you have - should read this and act on it
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/...ampaign=govuk-notifications&utm_content=daily
In brief, because of the highly pathogenic H5N8 AI strain (and some others) currently circulating, it will be a legal requirement to implement biosecurity measures from 14th Dec; you have till then to prepare.

Where can I find the actual law on this? Does this mean they're not even allowed out to a run?

the link is to the government website, and there are links at the bottom to more resources etc for England, Scotland, Wales and NI; you should follow the one where you live (agriculture is a devolved matter) but they worked together on this to ensure they are all very similar.
Does this mean they're not even allowed out to a run?
that depends on the conditions you have and the number of birds you keep. The birds' welfare legislation also applies, so, here in Wales, if you have fewer than 50 birds and do not have housing suitable to keep them inside 24/7, then they can go out; if you have a run, you should try to cover it with a tarpaulin or suchlike to protect them from bird poo falling from above (it's migrating waterfowl that are spreading this); if you don't have a run and can't rig up something temporary (planning rules also still apply!), you should do the best you can to protect your birds, whatever that is. In any case you should read all the guidance, get hold of some DEFRA-approved disinfectant (links to lists of such on the website) and use it when cleaning your coop(s), equipment, boots etc., and above all, know the symptoms (again, links to very good resources about this via the govt website) and keep your eyes open for it, and isolate any suspect case immediately.

I think it's going to be a miserable winter for them then, their main 'run' is pasture netted with a movable electric fence which seems completely impossible to net or enclose. They do have a smaller run but it's mostly for separating chickens or if there's no one to look after them for a few days, I can see them driving each other crazy if they're penned up longer than that.

Looks like I'm going to have to pen them and then move my coop-building plans forward from next spring to now so they're more comfortable. 2020 doesn't let up!!

Back
Top Bottom