UK self isolating and chickens at allotment

Londonchix

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 1, 2014
Hi everyone! I hope you are safe and well!

As it turns out, everyone in my household must self isolate (myself included). My chickens are at our allotment plot that we have to drive to each day. They are locked securely. We will not be able to ask someone at the allotment to look after the chickens for us. Nobody but us knows how to care for them and it would be too much trouble especially with avian flu going around. And we don't have any other family here to help. The only way is for one of us to look after them. We have already gone through every potential scenario and it simply won't work.

So, I have looked at RSPCA and the language is super vague about people having to care for pets but I could not find anything specific about chickens.

I would drive to the allotment when it's evening to ensure I would not encounter anyone else, of course with PPE. I just would like to know if there is any guidance about people who have chickens away from their home in these circumstances. Surely the government doesn't expect us to allow the chickens to starve?

Thank you!

Hi everyone! I hope you are safe and well!

As it turns out, everyone in my household must self isolate (myself included). My chickens are at our allotment plot that we have to drive to each day. They are locked securely. We will not be able to ask someone at the allotment to look after the chickens for us. Nobody but us knows how to care for them and it would be too much trouble especially with avian flu going around. And we don't have any other family here to help. The only way is for one of us to look after them. We have already gone through every potential scenario and it simply won't work.

So, I have looked at RSPCA and the language is super vague about people having to care for pets but I could not find anything specific about chickens.

I would drive to the allotment when it's evening to ensure I would not encounter anyone else, of course with PPE. I just would like to know if there is any guidance about people who have chickens away from their home in these circumstances. Surely the government doesn't expect us to allow the chickens to starve?

Thank you!
I would think as long as you are just driving there and back and you're not coming in contact with people you should have every right to go care for your birds. 🤷

Government states that if you are self-isolating you should not leave home to care for pets but should make provision by organising someone else to do it. There are pet care companies who will be able to provide this service for you.

I’ve attached 2 screenshots for you, from the government website. 1E3049CF-404C-414E-9ADA-1492F68A155A.jpeg 4BE91757-5A5F-4EBA-A59D-2C24993E3187.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom