Ultimate Chicken Mystery...what’s your opinion?

Chickens eyes have separate abilities. One sees very well close up (better than ours). The other sees far off. The near eye stays on teh ground when pecking. It can see many things in that soil that you or I can't. I do not believe the majority of pecking is searching, but picking stuff up they see with that near eye. The other eye scans the landscape/horizon to keep track of flock activity and predators. Science solves the mystery yet again!!

https://www.val-co.com/10-interesti...eye is far sighted, and right is near sighted.

https://www.livescience.com/8099-chickens-color-humans.html

Oh so picky.
DSCN5425.JPG

DSCN5435.JPG

DSCN5008.JPG

Your giving their tiny little brains way too much credit. Their brain is the size of a pea, and tells them they need to peck at things to survive.

When I was a kid my grandfather kept chickens, and one day we were out by the coop when one squatted, took a dump, then turned around and pecked at it several times. My granddad commented on how a chicken was an amazing animal, it could eat it's own crap and still survive.

Oh about three months ago I received three babies, that I thought were Crele Orpingtons, but as it turned out, are Partridge Orpingtons.

I was a little disappointed, but I still love them. They are getting very big. Well, for their age I think they’re big.

So they’ve had their first days outside. And they are pretty much having a great time. However I am asking the everyone on the BB to answer the Ultimate Chicken Mystery (UCM).

What on earth are they eating when they peck the ground?

Now, don’t think I’m hopelessly stupid; I realize when they are pecking green stuff, they are eating grass, moss, whatever. It’s when they are pecking just the dirt. I cannot see seeds or arthropods, worms, nor ants. They peck the tree bark with glee...

So, please enlighten everyone. WHAT ON EARTH ARE THEY EATING.

(enquiring minds want to know)

Back
Top Bottom