Ultimate Treat

When I take any kind of treat to my chickens, fruit, veggie scraps, melon rinds, it dosen't what matter I go to one gate to get their attention and then hurry around the coop to the other gate just to get in. I usually have to throw whatever it is I have across the run so I don't hit any of them with it. They're just plain excited whenever they see me coming and carrying something. I recently put a large pumpkin out for them and it was ALL gone the next morning but the stem. I just bought a cabbage to hang in the run but still trying to figure out how to hang it to stay while they feed on it.

It would be a toss up between watermellon or minnows. Found or the latter when we put some in the ducks pool. Ducks were diving and one jumped out. Best game of chicken football ever! It's now, one minnow for ducks HIKE for the girls.

For some reason mine are not too crazy over special treats. They love hunting for grasshoppers and they do like BOSS and alfalfa leaves. They don't come running to me for any treats.
roll.png

Yesterday I ran a wire through a cabbage and hung it in the run. At first the weren't jumping much but then I put some straw down on the rocks and they really went at it. It was a crack up watching them jump straight up to get a bite. The less mature girls could only hop and try. The big girls had no problem getting up there and the lazy butt roos just let the girls get a bite and chased them around trying to get a bit of theirs. After watching for a few minutes I lowered it so everyone could reach it. Chickens are so funny!

Quote:
I gave up hanging the cabbages - they won't give me time to do it so I just let them roll it around until its gone. Doesn't take long!

My chickens simply love the Superworms I breed. They are a much larger version of the mealworm. I can hold one about 30" above the ground and they will jump up and grab it from my hand. I have 3 chicks in a smaller cage setup inside and it's a riot to give one to one of them. They chase each other trying to steal the worm. They also love raisons!

Quote:
How did you manage that? Chickens are most definitely NOT vegetarians. They are omnivores and they need the protein they derive from meat.
Besides, unless you are keeping them in a sealed box, they are getting bugs (bugs = meat protein).

Back
Top Bottom