Um, so what do I do when they hatch?

lemuckley_flock

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 14, 2011
My broody is on 10 eggs in a rubber tub in the house. The chicks are peeping loudly and are due to hatch in the next 48 hours. Just realized that I should probably have an idea of what to do when they hatch. Should I take the chicks and put them in a brooder under heat? Leave them in the tub with mama and the rest of the eggs? FWIW, it's a standard size rubbermaid tub lined with straw, so not a ton of room to run around and stretch out...plus, there's the rest of the eggs. I know when you all hatch in an incubator you don't open it until the hatch is finished....since there's no 'lid' to trap in humidity are they ok to move out? I want mama to raise them, so would it be better to leave them? Slightly freaking out....

Mama and babies are going to need a larger area to 'live' in. Can you move her to another pen? Mom will leave the unhatched eggs when she's ready - or push them out. Good luck with your hatch. Don't move mama and the eggs yet - she may abandon them.

I've got a spot ready for mama and babies - an enclosed 4 X 8 ground level coop with food, water, and heat (in one corner), ready to receive. My dh wants me to move her now but my fear is that she'll abandon them as well. Should I leave the hatched chicks in the tub with her, or remove them? I just don't know at what point to move any or all of them.....

Can you move the entire tub into the new area? If so, do it when it's dark and she's asleep - she'll wake up in the morning and be in the new place. Should be ok if you do it that way I think.

I wouldn't seperate her from the chicks. If she comes out of the tub once it's in the new space, you could turn it on it's side so she can come and go as she wants. She will take care of the chicks. I'd still have chick starter and a good chick feed on hand for them. Good luck! Can't wait to see pictures!

Back
Top Bottom