umbilical cord attached

Dianna63020

Chirping
Jul 14, 2015
is it normal to have chicks hatch with the cord still attached? I'm new to hatching eggs and quail hatched no problem, but the chicks they pip and 24 hours later not much is happening and finally within 48 hours they break out but the contents are wet and attached cord is still there. Nothing like the quail were at all. Its stet at 38.7 and the humidity has ben 65-70%, could it be too humid?

Some do hatch with the cord still attached occasionally. In general if you leave it be it will dry up and fall off on its own. Don't try to pull it off as this could cause it's abdomen to come out.

If you have a forced air (fan) incubator your temp is a little high. 37.5C is recomended for forced air and for still air 101-102F measured at the top of the eggs. Did you have 65%-70% for the whole incubation or just at lockdown?

I leave a little piece of shell on cord,I learned the hard way about pulling shell off, the chick died right then.

Some do hatch with the cord still attached occasionally. In general if you leave it be it will dry up and fall off on its own. Don't try to pull it off as this could cause it's abdomen to come out.

If you have a forced air (fan) incubator your temp is a little high. 37.5C is recomended for forced air and for still air 101-102F measured at the top of the eggs. Did you have 65%-70% for the whole incubation or just at lockdown?
xs 2

An important piece of info that would help for advice is the humidity during incubation. 65-70% for hatch is fine, but it's possible especially with wet chicks and navel issues that the incubation humidity was high as well.

Sometimes you do have an odd chick that is connected at hatch, if you have multiplechicks like that, it leads to the fact adjustments should be made with either heat or humidity or both. You can, if it doesn't detach on it's own, cut it, but NEVER pull it. If there's any bleeding, tie the cord.

Back
Top Bottom