Umbilical cord question

Sejoseph

Hatching
Apr 10, 2021
Ok tiny bit of background, we received 2 chicks today as a gift for my daughters birthday (after much discussion and planning šŸ˜‚) I was feeling prepared, but now I feel like a terrified brand new mom again...

our little lady Alice, Ameraucana, had something stuck in her backside. After some internet reading, I got really worried it was pasty butt. I tried to clean it (which she hated!) and now I think it is her umbilical cord? I tried to get a picture but unsurprisingly it is hard to photograph a baby chickens butt. I didnā€™t pull it off, but I did try to clean it. Iā€™m really worried I could have hurt her. She is pretty chirpy, but seems to be doing the same things our other chick is. She has been pooping a lot (side note, is runny poop normal??)

I feel I may need to make an entire post that is a checklist of ā€œis this normal or notā€
53735F55-C201-499C-BD4B-7CADFF62CCCC.png

how old are the chicks.

It simply sounds like pasty butt to me. The poo and the feathers get all stuck together so the chicks don't like getting it tugged but you just need to keep loosening it with warm water and a cloth, do it gently and just let it soak - it should dissolve and be easier to remove. The belly button is further away not near the butt so from the picture it looks like the butt is wet and possibly pasted

Back
Top Bottom