Umbilical scab and pasty butt

MasterofNone

Songster
Mar 29, 2022
West Michigan
One of my now 3 day old New Hampshire chicks had a tiny little smudge under her vent yesterday. When I cleaned her up, I noticed that she also had a relatively large scab where her umbilical cord was (I don't know the terminology for chickens on their equivalent). The scab is shaped like a plug or cork and black from dried blood, I presume. It sticks out at least a cm or more.

She looked good overnight, after that first cleaning, but today when I checked her, the down between that scab and her vent were caked again. Significantly moreso than yesterday, thought I think her vent was still partially open. Its like the scab is creating a little shelf on which the poo can get stuck because it sticks out so far.

I spent a long time today cleaning her back up, and that moisture from my towel softened the scab and pulled it off a little. She was pink underneath in the part I could see, not bleeding, butit looked like it very easily would. I was very careful not to pull on it at all tho, just jostling it made her wake up and gripe at me. I gently blow dried her on low heat, and dabbed coconut oil on and around her vent. When I did this, she squirted out some clear liquid, and I thought, at least she's able to move her bowels, just not sure the clear liquid is actually a good sign.

So my questions are...
* Should I spend more time trying to soften that scab, or just try to keep it clean and hope for the best?
* Also, I saw that you should use vaseline for lubricating the vent, but I can't find any here at the house rn, so is the coconut oil okay to use when I have pasty butt chicks? Its really high quality coconut oil, for what its worth.
* Finally, is there anything else I should be doing for her? This my first time dealing with PB, but I know its pretty common so I have been watching for it.

I have them on non-med Kalmbach chick crumble and room temp water with electroytes and probiotics. I thought about adding some ACV, but don't want to overwhelm them with additives, but their next quart of water could be just ACV added if thats better?

Sorry I don't have pics right now. My hands were full at the time I was treating her, but I might be able to get a pick later today if that would help. Thanks

Please post some photos of the chick, the vent and navel.

No, I would not try to soften the scab on the navel, leave it alone.

Coconut oil is fine to apply to a vent that is irritated due to pasty butt.

PB can be from several things, do the chicks have enough room to get away from their heat source (how warm is your brooder on the cool and warm side, temp please)

See that the chick is eating well and drinking. I would not add anything to the water, leave it plain and fresh.

Please post some photos of the chick, the vent and navel.

No, I would not try to soften the scab on the navel, leave it alone.

Coconut oil is fine to apply to a vent that is irritated due to pasty butt.

PB can be from several things, do the chicks have enough room to get away from their heat source (how warm is your brooder on the cool and warm side, temp please)

See that the chick is eating well and drinking. I would not add anything to the water, leave it plain and fresh.
Thank you @Wyorp Rock! Sorry I took so long to respond.

After that day when I cleaned her and accidentally disturbed her scab, she has been 100% okay! :thumbsup I check on her several times a day, just to be sure she stays that way, and everyone else does too, but that was the worst of it so far. Had a RIR start getting pasty, but one quick clean up and she is doing great. No problems since.

The brooder is an xl rubber tote inside a giant dog crate with the heat lamp on one half keeping that end at 95° exactly. I never even thought to measure the cooler side temp before (which I need to remedy, I see), but it is significantly cooler. The chicks are moving all around and napping pretty much whereever they feel like, so they seem happy with the temp variations.

Once we passed about 36hr from postal pickup, I haven't had a single issue with any chick and BP. Knock on wood 🤞I used up that pack of chick water stuff and have just given them H2O since.

So I think the crisis is over (though I still do thorough PB checks 2-3 x per day to be sure). It just kind of threw me when I saw that umbilical scab like that, but I think it was extra pronounced because of the clearish PB gluing down her feathers. Surprised and freaked me right out, but mother nature seems to have worked it out on her own once the downy butts were clean.

Thank you again for your response!

Back
Top Bottom