Umbilical still attached, Can I help??

Swhite2415

Chirping
Jun 13, 2019
Newfoundland, PA
This is my first clutch incubating!! Hatch day was saturday, its now monday and I just had one find his way out but his umbilical is still attached!! His struggling around the incubator pulling at it and hurting himself. Was told by a friend he wont make it. Can i help in any way?? I still have piped eggs so im afraid to open the incubator!! What do i do???

***my son was born with intestines out, so i feel a kinship to this little guy now!! I wanna help any way i can if possible**

Can you post a picture of it? Does it look like this?

cut-cord_1-png.1857789

You can open the incubator and cut it off. See my picture above? Just cut where there is no vein or blood. Usually, about 1/2" away from the body is safe.

What about opening the incubator with other piped eggs? I heard it can damage the chicks still trying in the eggs?? And do i keep him separated after i cut it or put him back in??

What about opening the incubator with other piped eggs? I heard it can damage the chicks still trying in the eggs?? And do i keep him separated after i cut it or put him back in??
You will not harm the other eggs by quickly opening your incubator. Once cut, place it back in the incubator to let it fluff up.

UPDATE:
Here is the little guy/gal now☺ I am so happy he made it through and is thriving!! Thank you for your help☺

Attachments

• 20190814_160110.jpg
    20190814_160110.jpg
    516.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 20190814_160118.jpg
    20190814_160118.jpg
    398.9 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom