Umm why isn't my rooster growing a tail?? Pics included!

Picklestix7866

Songster
10 Years
Feb 20, 2009
Thawing Minnesota
I have a Columbian Wyandotte cockeral and three pullets. They were hatched middle of March. The pullets look beautiful
smile.png
But... the cockeral isn't growing a tail!
barnie.gif
He needs a tail in order to show at the fair in a month! What the heck! Is there a reason for this? Is it normal for roosters to not grow their tails for a long time?

23347_tail-less_rooster_010.jpg

I'm guessing that it's either mites or picking. Check around the base of his tail feathers and see if you can find any moving dust specks.
hmm.png

I'm pretty sure they don't have mites, because I'm paranoid about them and check frequently. I was thinking maybe picking, but he is the boss... I've never seen him be the one picked on...

Either way, is it too late for him to grow a decent tail? The fair is July 18-ish.

He might be getting picked on. Even boss roosters can get it into their heads that it's their duty to be fed to the flock. At least, mine acts that way.
roll.png

I doubt he'll grow his tail in time for the fair.
hmm.png

Maybe one of the breeds that feather weird? I've had cockerals at 8 months with one tail feather, nothing even pecked it, it's just how some cochins feathered out.

Hmm yeah I don't know. He was like this before I got him a few weeks ago too. The lady thought he was just maturing slower, but it hasn't changed yet.
hmm.png

Crap crap crap

I'd bet all on pecking. Roosters often fall victim even though they seem like the toughest members of the flock, because they will submit to their ladies' desires. Even if it makes them look ugly. You might never see him get picked on in front of you, but I really think that's what it is. I've been battling it for 2 years now, and after falure with everything I try to stop and prevent pecking, I'm now forced to cull the heaviest pickers from my flock. Not fun, epecially because I've grown attatched to them. But I must protect the weaker and more fragile. That's my job as an owner.

If he's been picked on for a long time, he might never grow feathers back.
sad.png
I've often found that after extensive pecking, the nerves in that area are shot and feathers just never resurface. If he does grow feathers back, I'm sorry to say that I think it will take alot more than a month. My biggest concern would be, that if this is really pecking, you have to stop it.

I would bet picking too...my poor ameraucana roo has(or had
hmm.png
) a gorgeous beard/muffs, he only has a very few pieces the girls missed, now they moved onto his tail
barnie.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom