Unabsorbed yolk sac

I think it will be ok
As long as it’s a soft dry area he is able to lay on
It looks about the size of an eraser?
Yes, about! It went down a lot until about 6pm then it’s been the same size since, relatively.

Is it ok to keep the duckling in the bator at 99.5 F and ~70% humidity for another day ?

Last edited:
Hi! I wanted to give you an update and ask a quick question. Little ducky is doing well! Today is day 5! Thank you again for all your advice! When do you think it is ok to let him(her) swim? Also, when do you think we are out of “danger zone” from infection (caused from Unabsorbed yolk sac)?
As long as the tummy is all closed up and no puss or redness you should be good
I bath mine at day 3 on as long as tummy is closed
I use warm water and only do 5-10 mins so they don’t get tired and cold Then I dry them with paper towel as it absorbs most the water. Then they start to preen
Never had issues doing this
Moms take the babies to swim after all have hatched so day 2-3

Hi!

I literally JUST had the same thing happen to me!
My duckling hatched prematurely and the yolk sac is the size of a small olive with fluid around it.
Baby is small and weak. I left her bottom in the egg and put her in a cup with a paper towel around her supporting her neck and covering the still attached yolk sac.
She’s so tiny and weak, I don’t think she’s going to make it. I feel terrible leaving her all alone in the incubator to die, I feel like I should be with her but I know she needs to be kept warm.
I’m devastated and heartbroken. I’m actually afraid to go check on her because this has happened before and 2 didn’t make it, but another 2 did.
I’m so happy yours made it!! 🙏❤️

This duckling was very special to us and we are so sad right now leaving her in there alone to die. 💔

Blessings,
Amy

Back
Top Bottom