Unabsorbed yolk sack HELP!!!!!

I have a chicken that had this happen and it has been two days the egg yolk sack looks long and deformed the Chicken is standing constantly or leaning against something it will not sit. Could it be part of the chicks intestines? The yolk sack burst when she sat on it about an hour after she hatched and it leaked out yellow stuff for a while and a little blood. We have coated the whole back end with neosporin and are hoping for the best.

This is the first time I have had a hen go broody and I let her sit on some eggs and ended up with a lot of eggs at different stages of development (the other chickens kept sneaking in and laying eggs when she would go to eat and poop). The remaining eggs are in an incubator hatching out one at a time every few days. She has three that she is raising but I am ending up with 6 including the one with the egg yolk issue in a hampster cage in my daughters room. I am building a brooder hutch so I can free up a large cage the momma hen and her three chicks are currently in and move the whole kit into the basement.

This hatching eggs out for weeks is getting old.

My wife has become extremely attached to this chick because she has primarily been the one taken care of it. If any one can tell me what I can do to help this chicken I would appreciate it. We initially got these chickens for food and eggs but this experience with the hatching of chicks tells me some of these birds are becoming pets. This little one with the egg yolk sack if it lives is going to be a pet I am afraid especially if I end up taking it to the vet.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Same issue here, except the yolk sac is tight up against his body, there is no cord at all. It's been hours and he is completely dry. Will it still absorb? He's pretty active, but he can't walk on his feet because they are all curled up so he scoots around on top of the sac. What do I do, please?

Read some advice that says to gently push in the unabsorbed yolk into the belly with a cotton bud that's been dipped into cooled boiled water and hold there for a few minutes. I did this just now (amazing) but the yolk didn't stay there it kept popping back out, so I put a small plaster over it to hold it in place, it seems to be doing the trick and protecting it from bacteria at the same time. I then gave it a couple of drops of sugar water and put the chick quickly back into the incubator. (I've moved the others to the brooder so this one can recover in piece) It was lifeless, eyes closed and not really moving at all. This was about seven hours ago and it's just started to gain some energy and is trying to stand and opening it's eyes now and again acting a little more like it should. It may not still make it but give this a try, it clearly really can work. I can't believe it, it's starting to act now like its just hatched and not just lying lifeless. This chick not only had unabsorbed yolk but lost quite a bit of blood and was really in a very bad way. Give it a go,it can work. Good luck.

I just had a chick hatch, it has a sack attached, but it is all red/blood no yellow.... I didn't find him/her until it was starting to dry up a bit as we were gone for about 2 1/2 hrs.... I have it sitting on a damp paper towel in a cup.....back in the brooder.... he/she has some blood on his legs, so I am guessing it ruptured somewhere along the way, but not bad..... I am guessing I should wait for it to dry up some before clipping it? Unsure as this is my first hatch also, and the first 8 came out great!... he/she is full of energy and seems to be doing fine.... just want to be sure how to proceed.... thanks for any help....

What ever you do do not cut!!!! If it's the chicks intestines you need to very gently push them back in its stomach (with clean hands) and then hold for a few seconds and then cover with a plaster to hold them back in place. Leave on plaster until it naturally falls off.
I've done this very successfully and now have a healthy chicken running around. Good luck.

It was just the yolk sack that had gotten bloody when he pulled himself out of the shell.... after it had dried up and started turning colors so I knew he was not getting any more from it, I cut it. About 30 seconds later, he crapped on me, so I think he is ok. I had to give him a warm water bath this morning to finish removing the blood on him plus a piece of shell that stuck.... he is wrapped and warm under the heat lamp away from the others for now. only real problem I see is he has a bum leg. Must have twisted it while trying to get out or trying to move in the incubator. we will see how he fairs.... thanks

This is my chick hatched this morning, is it the same? I have since cleaned it up a bit

This thread certainly helped educate me! My most recent hatch (4/28) had a chick that came out like this.
Though the yolk sac was small, but it still befuddled me at the time.

I never knew this was thing, but I figured it would be common sense for me to leave her in the incubator a little longer than the others to examine her.
At first I thought it was some sort of hernia, but leaving her be for awhile I realized it was connected to her navel.
She's currently with her other siblings and is doing well as it's drying rapidly. The others surprisingly don't pick at her. Thank goodness!
Thank you to everyone who put in their word on the matter.

I have a chick that has torn its yolk on some shell and it is sticking to everything, no blood it is starting to dry up does any one know what I should do

Back
Top Bottom