Unabsorbed yolk

How do u know the difference in a yolk sac and hernia? I have one that I thought was yolk sac but I’m not sure now after reading these threads
A hernia, when I've seen it in my chicks, looks like bloody tissue poking through the navel. Sometimes, unfortunately, the intestines also come out. Sometimes it's just a small bloody little knob that dries up and disappears in a few days. The yolk sac, however, looks more yellowish or whitish, maybe with a very few small blood vessels, and it's attached to the navel by a thin string of whitish/gooey membrane (the cord). It too will dry up as the chick absorbs the remainder, or it will fall off. That may not be 100% accurate, but it's just what I've seen in my chicks. Can you post a picture of the navel?

A hernia, when I've seen it in my chicks, looks like bloody tissue poking through the navel. Sometimes, unfortunately, the intestines also come out. Sometimes it's just a small bloody little knob that dries up and disappears in a few days. The yolk sac, however, looks more yellowish or whitish, maybe with a very few small blood vessels, and it's attached to the navel by a thin string of whitish/gooey membrane (the cord). It too will dry up as the chick absorbs the remainder, or it will fall off. That may not be 100% accurate, but it's just what I've seen in my chicks. Can you post a picture of the navel?
Thank you for tryna help I’m super sad over this

Attachments

• 365A82EE-EF5C-4AEF-BA2C-E64EDB8CB942.jpeg
    365A82EE-EF5C-4AEF-BA2C-E64EDB8CB942.jpeg
    222.4 KB · Views: 5
  • E934C01C-E18E-4123-AEEA-665219EA3006.jpeg
    E934C01C-E18E-4123-AEEA-665219EA3006.jpeg
    265.4 KB · Views: 5
I’m new to this page some I’m a little confused at how to respond or find responses lol . Should I continue to put ointment on it?

Thank you for tryna help I’m super sad over this
Well, that looks like a bit of both. Poor baby. Thank you for the photos. There's little you can do but to treat it with a tiny dab of antibiotic ointment (without pain relief), keep it separated from other chicks so they won't peck at it, and hope for the best. If all goes well, the navel will close on its own - but the chick is likely to be weaker and smaller than other chicks. To be honest, you will likely find it dead within a week or two.

Please don't blame yourself. It's the nature of keeping chickens and hatching eggs; often they die from deformities like this or with no explanation at all. It happens to all of us and why people talk about "hatch rates" and "survival rates" and "failure to thrive" in regard to hatching chicks. Even under the conditions of perfect genetics, perfect eggs, perfect incubator conditions, and perfect brooder conditions, it still happens.

Fingers crossed for your baby. :hugs

I’m new to this page some I’m a little confused at how to respond or find responses lol . Should I continue to put ointment on it?
It took me awhile to learn the ropes of these forums, too. I'm still trying to figure some things out!

If you click on "reply" below, it will open a new message window with that message copied at the top, and you can type below it.

If you click on "+quote" it will simply copy that message and save it temporarily with a banner "message added to multi-quote" so you know it's saved. You can continue to click on other messages and "+quote" on those too, and it saves each message with the first one. Then when you start to type your own message, you can click "insert quotes" and it will paste them all on your message window with spaces between each one.

I often add more paragraph spaces between parts of a quote, or delete the parts that don't pertain to what I want to respond to, and then add my own messages as needed between each quote. It's a convenient way to respond to several people all at the same time.

Another tip you'll find handy - if you just want a certain member to see your message, you can simply type the ampersand "@" followed by their member name, like this: @Gina70427 . And that person will get a notification that you've been mentioned (if they have notifications turned on in their profile). As you start to type the member name, the website pops up all the names that start with what you've typed. So if you can't quite remember a member's full name, the website helps you find it. Pretty handy!

Well, that looks like a bit of both. Poor baby. Thank you for the photos. There's little you can do but to treat it with a tiny dab of antibiotic ointment (without pain relief), keep it separated from other chicks so they won't peck at it, and hope for the best. If all goes well, the navel will close on its own - but the chick is likely to be weaker and smaller than other chicks. To be honest, you will likely find it dead within a week or two.

Please don't blame yourself. It's the nature of keeping chickens and hatching eggs; often they die from deformities like this or with no explanation at all. It happens to all of us and why people talk about "hatch rates" and "survival rates" and "failure to thrive" in regard to hatching chicks. Even under the conditions of perfect genetics, perfect eggs, perfect incubator conditions, and perfect brooder conditions, it still happens.

Fingers crossed for your baby. :hugs
Thank you and it’s sad for sure. Should I put the ointment on the whole mass or just around the naval?

Thank you and it’s sad for sure. Should I put the ointment on the whole mass or just around the naval?
Also should I give him nutrients? Egg yolk mixd? I was giving him some but notice he still seemed to have a big belly from yolk from hatching. I haven’t noticed him trying to eat or drink on his own. But he was taking the electrolytes yesterday mixed with a lil yolk. But again I stopped because of his belly seeming full. He was born early sat morning .

I don't think it matters, but couldn't hurt to lightly cover the whole thing.

Also should I give him nutrients? Egg yolk mixd? I was giving him some but notice he still seemed to have a big belly from yolk from hatching. I haven’t noticed him trying to eat or drink on his own. But he was taking the electrolytes yesterday mixed with a lil yolk. But again I stopped because of his belly seeming full. He was born early sat morning .
He may not eat or drink much for the first 2-3 days, since he's been getting nutrition from the yolk he's absorbed. But if he'll drink, yes - add electrolytes to the water. Sugar water wouldn't hurt, either - and will give a boost of energy. If he hasn't already learned, you must dip his beak into the water a few times so he'll get the idea.

And if he'll eat, yes, egg yolk is very good. You can mix it with some moistened chick starter to add needed vitamins and other nutrients. Keep food and water available at all times.

I don't think it matters, but couldn't hurt to lightly cover the whole thing.

He may not eat or drink much for the first 2-3 days, since he's been getting nutrition from the yolk he's absorbed. But if he'll drink, yes - add electrolytes to the water. Sugar water wouldn't hurt, either - and will give a boost of energy. If he hasn't already learned, you must dip his beak into the water a few times so he'll get the idea.

And if he'll eat, yes, egg yolk is very good. You can mix it with some moistened chick starter to add needed vitamins and other nutrients. Keep food and water available at all times.
Thank you!! How long will the mixture stay good?

Back
Top Bottom