Unabsorbed yolk

Mar 8, 2019
AL, USA
This is the first time this has hapened to us but we have a tiny chick that seems to have hatched early and didn't fully absorb the egg yolk. When I found it it was just coming out of the shell so I stuck it kind of back in the bottom half of the shell and left it there. It absorbed a good bit more of the yolk but not all. Now what's left has dried and hardened. What can I do for it now?

It will dry up and fall off. I wouldn't mess with it - you'd risk causing a hernia at the navel. If it dries and separates to a point where it's only attached to the body by a thin cord, and there is NO blood present, you can safely snip the cord a little away from the navel. I have two in a separate incubator right now with the exact same problem, but one of them had some bleeding through the navel as well. They'll be FINE, just need to be kept separate from the other more lively chicks to prevent any injuries, and until the tissue falls off.

If there is a BUMP at the navel, just leave that alone. Do not mess with it at all. It will eventually shrink and disappear, but it may be several days or a week. Just watch him to be sure the other chicks aren't pecking at it.

If there is a BUMP at the navel, just leave that alone. Do not mess with it at all. It will eventually shrink and disappear, but it may be several days or a week. Just watch him to be sure the other chicks aren't pecking at it.
Okay, thank you. I have left it alone hoping not to cause complications. I do worry that it isn't eating though as it doesn't weigh what I expect when I pick it up. It seems somewhat lethargic and weak compared to the others and just hides under the broody hen (who hatched it along with a few others) all day. I have seen it drinking and I'm adding Nutridrench to the water right now to give it a boost.

Okay, thank you. I have left it alone hoping not to cause complications. I do worry that it isn't eating though as it doesn't weigh what I expect when I pick it up. It seems somewhat lethargic and weak compared to the others and just hides under the broody hen (who hatched it along with a few others) all day. I have seen it drinking and I'm adding Nutridrench to the water right now to give it a boost.
Oh, and I have been watching the hen and other chicks. The hen has been very careful of it. She seems to realize it's not ready to run around yet and is staying still in the brooder box. I can/will remove the chick if necessary.

Thank you and it’s sad for sure. Should I put the ointment on the whole mass or just around the naval?
I don't think it matters, but couldn't hurt to lightly cover the whole thing.

Also should I give him nutrients? Egg yolk mixd? I was giving him some but notice he still seemed to have a big belly from yolk from hatching. I haven’t noticed him trying to eat or drink on his own. But he was taking the electrolytes yesterday mixed with a lil yolk. But again I stopped because of his belly seeming full. He was born early sat morning .
He may not eat or drink much for the first 2-3 days, since he's been getting nutrition from the yolk he's absorbed. But if he'll drink, yes - add electrolytes to the water. Sugar water wouldn't hurt, either - and will give a boost of energy. If he hasn't already learned, you must dip his beak into the water a few times so he'll get the idea.

And if he'll eat, yes, egg yolk is very good. You can mix it with some moistened chick starter to add needed vitamins and other nutrients. Keep food and water available at all times.

Don't worry about food for a few days. Chicks get all the nutrition and water they need from the absorbed yolk for 2-3 days. But if it's drinking already, then hooray! Yes, Nutri-Drench is a great approach. Fingers crossed, and it sounds like Mama hasn't rejected it, so it's all good!

Back
Top Bottom