Unabsorbed yolk

KKluckers

Time Out
12 Years
Sep 4, 2007
What causes this? I had about 8 chicks that never hatched because of this. They were other wise normal looking. I had the humidity about 50% and the temp 99.5-100.0 for a forced air. Oh yeah the eggs were shipped; could this of done it? It is just so strange.

Christina, here is a synopsis of reasons that could cause such a thing. Even when you have the list, sometimes you can only say what it is NOT, but not what the actual cause was for sure. Which eggs were those?

Not pipped. Full-term embryo, large yolk sac; yolk sac may not be fully enclosed by abdominal wall, may have residual albumen. Causes:

1. Inadequate turning, resulting in decreased embryonic membrane development and nutrient absorption.

2. Humidity too high during incubation or after transfer.

3. Incubator temperature too low.

4. Hatcher temperature too high.

5. Eggs chilled.

6. Nutritional deficiencies.

7. Heredity.

8. Embryological development accident.

9. Breeder diseases.

10. Inadequate ventilation.

11. Prolonged egg storage.

I raised the humidity to 70%-75% last three days. I have automatic turners and the ventilation was set to mfg. the eggs were the ones from Jim and the silkie eggs. Your eggs and the Cochin eggs I ordered not a one with the problem. I would think if it was incubator problems then I would of had a few from each batch. That is why I think it so strange. I have ordered more eggs and I'm going to set them this week. We will see what happens. Your probably right Cyn~ just one of those thing that happens. I'm really happy with the 30 chicks I did get 67% hatch rate. I was thinking 50%.

Almost forgot thank you both for the info.
big_smile.png

You're welcome! Sometimes, you have to play detective and use logic. Sometimes, it just happens and you never know why. Once I had several chicks with toes crooked to the side. Of five breeds in the bator, only one breed had that problem, therefore I concluded that it was genetic, not an incubation problem. My temp & humidity were good all the way through, too.

Back
Top Bottom