Unabsorbed yolks

I had a couple to do that. If they will stay still and quiet, it may finish absorbing or close up enough that they'll be fine...that's what mine did. There was one that the hole was as big around as my pinkie finger. Good luck!

I had one hatch with the same issue, the yoke sac still out. It was late evening when he hatched, figured he would pass in the night. Went out the next morning and he was cheeping away, running around the hatcher. Yoke completely absorbed and doing fine. He's sort of the runt of the hatch but catching up fine, usually find him camped out by the feeders.

I am going thru the same problem, this morning I had one with the yolk sac hanging down. I seperated him for a few hours in the incubator inside of a tupperware bowl with a wash cloth in it. He was still very lively when I checked on him so my daughter and I did a little surgery. I doubled up some thick thread will she gently held him, tied it snuggly where the sac just attached to his belly, enough to stop bleeding but not enough to slice thru, and snipped the sac off. He showed no signs of discomfort with this, no bleeding and is peeping and hopping around with his hatch buddies right now.....better than him or another chick mistakenly ripping the yolk sac off. He will just be hungry very early :)

Note: I felt this neccessary as he was bleeding from it and kept stepping on it, if it would have ripped out and he would have bled out :)

Last edited:
love.gif
Sorry about the other though

Well, one of them passed during the night, but the other two absorbed and are doing good. Strange chickens.

I am going thru the same problem, this morning I had one with the yolk sac hanging down. I seperated him for a few hours in the incubator inside of a tupperware bowl with a wash cloth in it. He was still very lively when I checked on him so my daughter and I did a little surgery. I doubled up some thick thread will she gently held him, tied it snuggly where the sac just attached to his belly, enough to stop bleeding but not enough to slice thru, and snipped the sac off. He showed no signs of discomfort with this, no bleeding and is peeping and hopping around with his hatch buddies right now.....better than him or another chick mistakenly ripping the yolk sac off. He will just be hungry very early :)

Note: I felt this neccessary as he was bleeding from it and kept stepping on it, if it would have ripped out and he would have bled out :)
i woud NOT recommend someone doing this, as sometimes a small loop of intestine might be poking thru as well. I had one hatch early a few days ago with his yolk out, and even tho the yolk absorbed, the hole closed up around a loop of intestine and he died anyways. my other one that had yolk still out is doing ok but not great. his hasn't absorbed, but is dry and not likely to rupture. we'll see by morning. he hatched yesterday so tomorrow will be day 2.

I've had unabsorbed yolks too, just left in incubator to dry and fall off all on their own. I've read the reason (and thinking of that hatch know it was my culprit) is the humidity was too high throughout incubation. Not to make anyone feel bad but wanted to put it out there so we can improve. Good luck and enjoy your chickies.

Back
Top Bottom