Unbalanced and Lethargic Hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DaisyBird, Apr 6, 2016.

1. MotherhenXOXO

MotherhenXOXO Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2016
    The urn sounds beautiful! We cremate ours as well when we lose one.We got Lilybugs blood work results and her white and red blood cells are fine but the blood protein is high but the vet says that that is unspecified? This is actually upsetting because the vet was thinking that her breathing issue was due to being anemic but she is not anemic. Now we are back to square one. We are waiting on a fungal test and now she wants to take xrays. She looks and acts better till she lays down. This is such a mystery to everyone and I'm begining to wonder if we are doing the wrong thing by not putting her to sleep. I love her sooooooooooooo much I just could not even imagine taking her to be put down but I don't want her to suffer because of me. I am so lost.

2. Chicky Woos123

Chicky Woos123 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2016
    I put my chick, Minnie in a box and then buried her. I dont think that I could cremate any of my babies [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. MotherhenXOXO

MotherhenXOXO Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2016
    If I were to do it which I can't picture myself doing it, I would have a vet do it for me. What gets me is she is so happy and seems fine till she lays down. That is what makes the decision harder because she is happy and of course I love her with all my heart!

4. DaisyBird

DaisyBird Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2015
    New York
    I think she'll let you know if it's her time. I remember Daisy just looking at me, as if she was saying she wanted to go, and she passed away not even a minute later. If Lilybug is still staying strong and trying to make it through, I think she wants to keep fighting! I wouldn't make any decisions until you get her other test results back. You never know what might come up!

5. DaisyBird

Jun 18, 2015
    New York
    It's always a person choice what you want to do :) I personally like cremation because you get to still physically have them inside your home with you, but like I said, everyone has their preference. I have pets buried as well. As long as you give them a good life and take care of them properly when they pass, it's fine no matter what you decide :) I think as long as you don't just throw their body in the trash or something, they're fine with what you decide to do.

6. Chicky Woos123

Mar 10, 2016
    Yeah, it is a personal choice. Isn't it horrible how people can just throw them straight into the trash?! [​IMG][​IMG]

7. DaisyBird

Jun 18, 2015
    New York
    It really is :( I understand it's just a body, but you should still respect it and dispose properly!

8. Chicky Woos123

Mar 10, 2016
    Of course! People are so ridiculous. It's so terrible how the hens are treated at big egg factories. They get all of their eggs, then they're not even good anymore, not even for meat because they have put all of their energy into producing eggs for only 1 year! Then they just ‚Äúcompost" them. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] I think that everyone who can, should raise their own chickens, the right way. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. DaisyBird

Jun 18, 2015
    New York
    Another reason why I don't eat chicken. Any impact I can have on helping all chickens have better lives :)

10. Chicky Woos123

Mar 10, 2016
    I know I should probably stop eating chicken. But I changed my mind after going to Chick-Fil-A. [​IMG] I'm going to try my best to stop though. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by