Unbalanced and Lethargic Hen

I can only eat store bought ones if I season them like crazy, and even then they aren't nearly as good! I think the best part of getting eggs from Daisy was that since she was so little, her eggs were half the size of regular ones (I actually measured!) so they were perfect for baking in small batches that don't need a whole egg :)

I was making some dog treats today and it requires an egg. But since I wasn't at home I had to buy some eggs from the store and use 1 of them. It specifically said on the carton, farm fresh eggs. I was like, yeah right, lol. Anyways when I cracked the egg open, the yolk was so pale yellow I could hardly see it!!!
1f632.png
1f632.png
1f632.png
1f632.png
1f627.png
1f625.png
My eggs from my chickens always have bright bright orange yolks, and the shells were hard to crack open, whereas the store bought eggs just cracked and crumpled. Was Daisy a bantam? I had a bantam chick named Minnie but she died.
1f625.png
1f625.png
1f625.png
1f424.png
1f627.png
I hope you can get more chickens soon!
1f64c.png
1f64c.png
1f64c.png
1f414.png

Yes she was :) and I'm sorry to hear about her :( But really, those poor chickens are clearly not taken care of well at all if that's what they're eggs look and taste like

Yes she was :) and I'm sorry to hear about her :( But really, those poor chickens are clearly not taken care of well at all if that's what they're eggs look and taste like

So true. Thank you for your kind words. We bought some more eggs today and it said in the carton, “fresh eggs from cage free chickens." So I was like, well if they're “cage free", then the yolks should be more orange in color. Nope as I thought, they were just as yellow. I'm not even sure if they really are cage free because if they were, then the yolks would be more orange. Those poor hens.
1f625.png
1f625.png
1f625.png
1f414.png

So true. Thank you for your kind words. We bought some more eggs today and it said in the carton, “fresh eggs from cage free chickens." So I was like, well if they're “cage free", then the yolks should be more orange in color. Nope as I thought, they were just as yellow. I'm not even sure if they really are cage free because if they were, then the yolks would be more orange. Those poor hens.
1f625.png
1f625.png
1f625.png
1f414.png
"Cage free" tends to mean they're in a warehouse :( I actually read somewhere that as long as the hens are out of their cages for at least an hour a day, then they can't be considered cage free, but I'm not sure if that's true or not. One of the many reasons I like the idea of having chickens is that we don't have to contribute to any of that!

"Cage free" tends to mean they're in a warehouse :( I actually read somewhere that as long as the hens are out of their cages for at least an hour a day, then they can't be considered cage free, but I'm not sure if that's true or not. One of the many reasons I like the idea of having chickens is that we don't have to contribute to any of that!

If they were really cage free, the yolks would be more orange because they'd be happier. I also read somewhere that happy chickens lay fewer eggs, but they are better in quality. But of course, large facrories can't afford for those poor chickens to be happy, therefore stuffing 4 of them in 1 tiny cage and forcing them to lay lots of eggs but they aren't nearly as good and nutritious as the happy chcikens' eggs. I'm glad that I have chickens so that I'm not supporting them either. If only people could have their own chickens,then the big factories would go out of business, but most people are so busy, they don't have the space or time for them.
1f625.png
1f625.png
1f625.png

If they were really cage free, the yolks would be more orange because they'd be happier. I also read somewhere that happy chickens lay fewer eggs, but they are better in quality. But of course, large facrories can't afford for those poor chickens to be happy, therefore stuffing 4 of them in 1 tiny cage and forcing them to lay lots of eggs but they aren't nearly as good and nutritious as the happy chcikens' eggs. I'm glad that I have chickens so that I'm not supporting them either. If only people could have their own chickens,then the big factories would go out of business, but most people are so busy, they don't have the space or time for them.
1f625.png
1f625.png
1f625.png

Daisy would always lay when she was happy. If she was stressed about something, no eggs. And for a period of time I think she got tired of me taking the eggs because she started hiding them around the house! Thankfully no eggs ended up never being found! I wish everyone could have their own chickens, but it is understandable that with work and other things going on in life that it isn't possible for everyone. Sadly for some reason we aren't allowed to sell eggs where I live.. too many chicken rules around here!

Daisy would always lay when she was happy. If she was stressed about something, no eggs. And for a period of time I think she got tired of me taking the eggs because she started hiding them around the house! Thankfully no eggs ended up never being found! I wish everyone could have their own chickens, but it is understandable that with work and other things going on in life that it isn't possible for everyone. Sadly for some reason we aren't allowed to sell eggs where I live.. too many chicken rules around here!

So true! But I've never had a hen that hid eggs from me!! That naughty Daisy!!
1f632.png
1f414.png
1f61d.png
Chickens have soooooooo many rules!! My hen Choco Chip wasn't laying eggs for a while. She was just taking a chicken vacation. I got so worried cuz I thought she was egg bound, but she would've been dead withing 2 days.
1f632.png
1f629.png
1f625.png
1f414.png
But she's alright now. I'm assuming that she has started up again. I have a question about house chickens for you. Did you have to train her though to poop in one place or do you just go around everyday cleaning up her messes? I know it's a weird question but I just wanted to know what you did for that. Lol.
1f632.png
1f632.png
1f414.png
1f64c.png
1f609.png
1f61d.png

So true! But I've never had a hen that hid eggs from me!! That naughty Daisy!!
1f632.png
1f414.png
1f61d.png
Chickens have soooooooo many rules!! My hen Choco Chip wasn't laying eggs for a while. She was just taking a chicken vacation. I got so worried cuz I thought she was egg bound, but she would've been dead withing 2 days.
1f632.png
1f629.png
1f625.png
1f414.png
But she's alright now. I'm assuming that she has started up again. I have a question about house chickens for you. Did you have to train her though to poop in one place or do you just go around everyday cleaning up her messes? I know it's a weird question but I just wanted to know what you did for that. Lol.
1f632.png
1f632.png
1f414.png
1f64c.png
1f609.png
1f61d.png
I eventually figured out her hiding spots so it was only an issue for the first couple days. And as for training, I didn't really have to do much. She would naturally let me know if she had to go if I was holding her or if she was on the bed. She would mostly just do her business in her cage with a few accidents on the floor here and there. It wasn't a huge mess or anything. Hopefully my next chickens are the same way!

I eventually figured out her hiding spots so it was only an issue for the first couple days. And as for training, I didn't really have to do much. She would naturally let me know if she had to go if I was holding her or if she was on the bed. She would mostly just do her business in her cage with a few accidents on the floor here and there. It wasn't a huge mess or anything. Hopefully my next chickens are the same way!

That's good. When I brought my chicks home,there's the one that I showed you before named Canelita. When she was a few weeks old, we noticed that she would stand on her tip toes and try to look outside of the brooder box. Well, when we were away one night, she made it out, and when we came home she was running around the loving room.
1f632.png
1f632.png
1f61d.png
1f609.png
1f424.png
1f64c.png
Pretty soon she had taught most of the other chicks how to do it too!
1f61d.png
1f632.png
1f61d.png
1f609.png
1f424.png
1f424.png
1f64c.png
1f64c.png
But she always loved to sit on the side of the box and look at what we were doing. When she was in one side of the box, and I was on the other side looking at them, she would walk over and position herself right in my face so that she could be next to me.I was always afraid that when she looked at me right in the eye, she would try to peck my eye! But I never worry anymore because she never even thinks about it!I love her so very very much and now she lays an egg every day!
1f64c.png
1f414.png
The chicks always had telltale signs that they were about to do their business. They would like put their shoulders inward and look at you funny and then a few seconds later, plop!
1f632.png
1f632.png
They don't do it anymore though. Which makes it kind of hard when they want to sit on my lap, because they can just poop right on me. But normally they get off. They've got chicken common sense!
1f64c.png
1f414.png
1f64c.png
1f609.png
1f61d.png

That's good. When I brought my chicks home,there's the one that I showed you before named Canelita. When she was a few weeks old, we noticed that she would stand on her tip toes and try to look outside of the brooder box. Well, when we were away one night, she made it out, and when we came home she was running around the loving room.
1f632.png
1f632.png
1f61d.png
1f609.png
1f424.png
1f64c.png
Pretty soon she had taught most of the other chicks how to do it too!
1f61d.png
1f632.png
1f61d.png
1f609.png
1f424.png
1f424.png
1f64c.png
1f64c.png
But she always loved to sit on the side of the box and look at what we were doing. When she was in one side of the box, and I was on the other side looking at them, she would walk over and position herself right in my face so that she could be next to me.I was always afraid that when she looked at me right in the eye, she would try to peck my eye! But I never worry anymore because she never even thinks about it!I love her so very very much and now she lays an egg every day!
1f64c.png
1f414.png
The chicks always had telltale signs that they were about to do their business. They would like put their shoulders inward and look at you funny and then a few seconds later, plop!
1f632.png
1f632.png
They don't do it anymore though. Which makes it kind of hard when they want to sit on my lap, because they can just poop right on me. But normally they get off. They've got chicken common sense!
1f64c.png
1f414.png
1f64c.png
1f609.png
1f61d.png
Canelita sounds like quite a trouble maker! I'm happy to hear that they at least gave a warning! They're such smart animals :)

Back
Top Bottom