UNBELIEVABLE!****UPDATE****FOUND

No matter why they refused to allow him to help, if I was the person drowning, I sure wouldnt look down from the afterlife and say, "Well, yeah, I'm dead now, but at least they followed the rules!". Seriously, I know it was probably a recovery operation rather than rescue at that point, but I sure would want everyone who had any way to help to do so if it was me or my loved one in trouble. This is certainly a CYA society we live in.

WOW! Insane!!!! What is happening in the world???? Man, I hope I don;t die someday because of some rule, law or paper trail..... what a mess. I understand that they don;t want everyone and their brother in the water making it hard for the rescue team or possibly drowning themselves.... but when a qualified individual offers their skills... how do you say "no" and even threaten arrest? Are they serious???

so sad... I feel for the family... even if alcohol was involved
sad.png

Something kind of similar happened in Orlando. A tourist had a collased two cops were near by and called for help. meanwhile a off duty/ex paramedic came by offered to help and they wouldnt let him. they proped the in the wrong position... wouldnt listen to the helper. the man ended up dying.

My boyfriend in highschool's friend drowned...3 friends went swimming in the river...strong undercurrent...he was seen splashing and a boat was near by and the friends were yelling for them to go help but they didn't. I couldn't even imagine why they wouldn't go help a struggling kid.

I'd like to think everyone in this world would be proactive and just jump right in and do something if they knew they could help.

So sad. I pray this family is able to lean on Christ's shoulders during this time.

Humbley,
Gretchen

When they found my nephew's boat going round and around in circles they didn't wait for anyone. He was a fireman and had been fishing with other fireman and they immediately started looking for him. They did have to call social services to pick up his 5 yr old son that was waiting with another fireman for his dad to come back with the rest of the camping gear.

They found his body the next day. Firefighters fight till the end for their follow fireman and then keep taking care of his family.

jackie

Sadly they still have not found a body. It was a 19 yo who was hot doggin with his friends. They very going up and down the lake doing 30 miles an hour and jumping off of the boat (cigar/cigarette boat). No flotation devices. They had been doing it a lot apparently throughout the day. Two jumped in and only one surfaced. The divers found a lot of debris(beer cans) in the search area, they tried to dump them all before the police showed up, they missed one in the boat
hmm.png
so no doubt they were theirs. They have 8 divers trying to recover the body but the depths are murky (70 ft) and cold. If they don't find him today he should resurface either tomorrow or Tuesday. It's just sad to lose a young life under such stupid circumstances.

Krista

edited for spelling

Last edited:
sad.png
This is so sad, I can't believe they didn't allow your DH to help, considering he's qualified... What a crappy world with 'rules' we're living in. My baby brother is 19... That's way too young to die. Even if it was by doing something incredibly stupid.

Very sad about the death of the boy but in today's lawsuit crazy world with everyone being culpable for everyone else's mis-doings, I can totally understand those rescue folks not wanting to be responsible for your husband and his actions..what if he found the 19 year old, still alive but stuck and tried to pull him out, only to let him go resulting in his death? The rescue folks would be getting unemployment for however many weeks and the State/County would have their britches sued off...it wasn't the rescuers that were the bad guys, or even the State/ County or whoever they work for..it's us the lawsuit crazy populace that's the problem...see what we can get without having earned it.

I admire his willingness and courage to help out..have him join the volunteer firefighters or army national guard or other reputable hleping agency that way his help will be covered by their liability policy.

Nothing to do with this, but I have helped in a missing persons case before to find that the police can arrest you (me) for assisting and interfering in police business.
KLF73, are you here in Maine? Sounds familiar to an event that is going on locally.
It is sad, just tragic that these things happen and it is a common occurance these days with the cigg boats. Maine and NE lakes are not good for these types of water craft. From wildlife that is killed often the young is washed up to shore, to boats being cut in half while out star watching on a date.
Sad.
It is unfortunate that the good semaritan law does not cover these, yet if for instance you stand in a crowd not daring to touch someone on the ground bleeding, and you have a first aid/first responder certificate/License, you best keep moving. Somewhere someone will find you liable for not doing what you was "Trained" to do.
This country is so sue happy, not looking at our neighbor trying to help us out, but to look at them as an income, stealing from them or even when you do not want to sue, the insurance companies will!
This is what happened to a friend of the family, this mature gentleman, retired 3 years from HVAC, a neighbor couple well into their elder years, no money and their furnace quit. So the retired HVAC went over, cleaned it, replace the replaceable and a few months later the furnace caught fire (back when Miller was having trailer fires) and the retired man was sued for a replacement trailer.
No good deed goes unnoticed. Sad world, of course the elderly couple got out of the fire and proudly said their neighbor helped them out...
Use caution when doing for anyone, pick up your cords, tools, water pails. Stay off my land and I'll stay off yours and we can live in our bubble wrap world of worry and fear.
Times, they are a changing.

Back
Top Bottom