uncoordinated silkie roo

artsyrobin

Artful Wings
15 Years
Mar 1, 2009
Muskogee OK
i have a young silkie roo, today he started veering to the right and seems to be losing balance- i gave him some vitamins hoping its just a deficiency- any suggestions? otherwise he seems fine, preening, eating, crowing

Im having a similar problem with a 4 month old golden comet pullet, it started off that she was unbalanced,now she walks a few steps,falls over then just lays down.She is eating and drinking, she eats like normal however she is now losing weight. We have tried vitamin b shots,vitamin and electrolytes in water,yogurt,dusting for mites. Nothing is helping, she has been like this for almost a month now and I know she can not live like this much longer,im just not ready to give up,but the cost and her pain keeps adding up. I thought that a wound on the base of her flight feathers was the cause,but the wound is now heald,wound happend 4 weeks ago. If you or someone else can find any information on this please let me know!
smile.png

have you posted a seperate thread on her? that might get more response, won't get lost here- my guy just perked up after a couple hours- not sure what was going on- but i have lost 2 in the last few months of a similiar thing- a couple things i thought could be causing it, botulism, a neurological thing, of course mereks comes to mind too- sounds like you are working with her, that is awesome, i always am willing to give them a chance- do you have pics of her? maybe posting pics could help folks figure out what is going on?

I had a similar problem. Mine almost acted like he had autism. After 8 weeks of vitamins and syringe feeding he finally died. Poor thing. My best chicken too.

Hope both of yours have better luck and you figure out the problem. I'm still confuzed about mine.

I have a silkie roo that has seizures and he freaks out and walks weird and falls down and stuff. Sounds a bit like Mereks to me.

i know from reading that silkies are prone to vitamin deficiencies, so that is always my first treatment, and there are other things that can cause this kind of symptoms- also mereks isn't always fatal either, some hope if it is. if your roo freaks out, does he then get to staggering? wonder if its stress? i had just given mine a bath, and got to thinking maybe it was stress related?

1 of my 4 month old wyandotte roosters is also showing these symptoms. Eats, drinks, acts normal but falls backwards alot and seems uncoordinated and somewhat depressed. all my chickens are free ranged and I'm hoping itsd not contagious. We will just cull him as we were going to anyways but Im worried about the others.

Back
Top Bottom