Underage mating Pekin

Duckmommy5309

In the Brooder
Jun 19, 2021
My Pekin duck which is 3 months old is already mating with my 4 month old khaki Campbell drake. She hasn’t been eating as much as she used too, and she limps all the time. I have walked outside to go check on them, and she was laying on her stomach sprawled out in the garden far away from her flock, and let me tell you, she always follows them. So I’m trying to figure out if her mating at 3 months is hurting her, because I’ve done research and it says they have to be 7-8 months to mate so I’m quite worried! Could anybody give me tips or and answer!? I’m just worried about her and don’t know if anything serious is wrong.

Welcome to BackYard Chickens! :jumpy Glad you joined. Everyone here is very kind and helpful :)

Do you see any injury on her leg? And have you checked her feet?

How many other females do you have?
Could you separate them? It sounds like he is simply over mating her.

Female ducks should not be put with older drakes until they reach sexual maturity period. Pekins are considered a heavy weight breed and do not sexually mature until 20-30 weeks (5-8 ish months). Your pekins reproductive system is not fully developed and your drake (to put it bluntly) is wrecking her insides. Separate them immediately.

08076458-AE8B-4DB5-9BF2-44D8A895A167.jpeg

This is what we feed them.

Back
Top Bottom