1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Underdeveloped Egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by enggass, Oct 21, 2010.

1. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Is it common in beginning laying days to find what looks like an underdeveloped egg that was layed? I found on the floor of my coop this AM a soft partial shell or the remains of a very soft shelled egg that had broken when layed. The shell was like construction paper thickness. I have 5 birds with at least 4 laying because the other day I got 4 eggs for the first time - although some are still rather small:)

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Perfectly normal. It sometimes takes a while for the pullets to get the kinks worked out of their internal egg laying factory. Double yolkers, small eggs, shell-less eggs, yolkless eggs, yolks only, soft shelled eggs, misshapen eggs, none are unusual when they first start. Sometimes they don't have a lot of control over where they lay their eggs either when they first start. If the problem persists after two weeks, then you may have a problem. Until then, don't worry.

3. vSRanch

vSRanch New Egg

Jul 11, 2012
    What about an egg whose yolk is already runny when I crack it open (I know that the egg has not been jiggled or dropped before hand)? I was told this may also be a sign of an underdeveloped egg. Is this true?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by