Understanding Chicken Math

Pics
I have an old greenhouse that is not in use, would be good for quarantine, no power, so couldn't put a brooder light in there though. Though panels are all cloudy and it doesn't get all that hot anymore

Last edited:
I started hunting on kijiji for some silkies hoping to just pick up 2-3 and thinking that if I found some cheap laying hens. I might maybe grab one...now tonight my Hubby is quickly building a coop and then heading out to pick up a flock of Barred Rocks...what happened? 5 dollars a bird for one year old laying hens that is what happened!

I am even getting on my mother-in-laws good side by grabbing enough that I can give a few to her since she has been wanting hens for a few months now.

I am even getting on my mother-in-laws good side by grabbing enough that I can give a few to her since she has been wanting hens for a few months now.

Looks like chicken math is working very well for you!!
wink.png

And now a neighbour wants a few so we are getting 12 and dividing them up but since the neighbour doesn't have a coop yet hers are staying with me until she can build one.

I have been watching a listing for guinea keets for sale and the price kept lowering but I figure my Hubby would never let me spend more money on chickens so I ignored it. Then they said they would trade for French Black Copper Marans! Wouldn't you know I have two FBCP cockerals and one needs to find a new home! So I get to trade him for two little guinea keets!
And since they are being traded and not bought I will be in the negative!
And then I found some silkies which are ornamental bantams and so don't count either and since Hubby know i have wanted silkies for years he said I could get some!

This is just horrible - I got an e-mail early this morning from the local nursery - they have chicks - NOW?!?!?! I mean I live in the middle of the city and noone but the urban farming store has had chicks since Easter.

Okay, and to make it worse, they have the kinds I wanted at first and was unable to get from urban farming store -
Auraucana, Ameraucana & Buff Orpington.​

I was good, I was able to stay away today.​

See I have clearance for 4 more - but those were supposed to be gifted to my DD - but I am not sure that is goign to happen now.​

I also Don't think I can really be set up very quickly for 2 different age groups - the 4 we are possibly getting are the same age as the ones I have (about 8 weeks). Then I also said the next chicks would not be hatchery but be from local people I have gotten to know on this thread.​

But they have Auraucana, Ameraucana & Buff Orpingtons. What ever will I do! It was down right mean of the nursery to get chicks at this stage of the game. What are they trying to do to me???​

According to this I'm on negative numbers because my dog used my 6 amaraucanas as chew toys, so I got 12RR, 12BR and 6 more amaraucanas and 6 guineas.. my husband had no idea about chicken math... if he new he'd be at the store buying 36 more

This is just horrible - I got an e-mail early this morning from the local nursery - they have chicks - NOW?!?!?! I mean I live in the middle of the city and noone but the urban farming store has had chicks since Easter.

Okay, and to make it worse, they have the kinds I wanted at first and was unable to get from urban farming store -
Auraucana, Ameraucana & Buff Orpington.​

I was good, I was able to stay away today.​

See I have clearance for 4 more - but those were supposed to be gifted to my DD - but I am not sure that is goign to happen now.​

I also Don't think I can really be set up very quickly for 2 different age groups - the 4 we are possibly getting are the same age as the ones I have (about 8 weeks). Then I also said the next chicks would not be hatchery but be from local people I have gotten to know on this thread.​

But they have Auraucana, Ameraucana & Buff Orpingtons. What ever will I do! It was down right mean of the nursery to get chicks at this stage of the game. What are they trying to do to me???​

They are trying to say get off the computer and build another coop...STAT! Go, go, go!!!
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom