Understanding Chicken Math

Pics
Life has been a bit crazy and I have been keeping late hours. The little time I have had, I have spent expanding my coop and run. A few days ago I went to fill the feeder in my main coop...and found my Clucky, a sneaky broody hen cached in the corner with a chick...and about 15 more eggs under her. I guess she decided my math wasn't correct and she would correct my calculations. I'm already doubling my chicken space...tripling my roost space.

Then while trying to sort out what type of pullet one of mine- I was searching on ideals hatchery site...big mistake. They are running a special on rare breeds. Im tempted...cause chicks dont count....I just keep repeating to myself...You DO NOT need more than 50 chickens....you DO NOT need more than 50 chickens....

Things are getting interesting around here, DH found a lady that was selling 4 hens and 2 roosters that were 'pure bred' for $100 and now he wants us to start a breeding program, including new coops and runs for our different breeds. so now, I'm researching. again

And now a friend has a batch of shipped day olds that weren't picked up today. I may be sent out as rescue chickie mama
Hi !
frow.gif

Those chicks are going to be travel stressed. You can mitigate that. Here ya go:
How to Deal With Travel Stress in Baby Chicks
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/746509/how-to-deal-with-travel-stress-in-baby-chicks
Per a conversation I had with the science techs at Bovidr Labs, you can use the Poultry and Pet formulas interchangeably. Same dosage and usage instructions. One drop by mouth on arrival. Then every 8-10 hours as needed. Put 2cc's per gallon in their water for the 1st 2 weeks to get them off to a strong start.
Best Regards,
Karen and the Light Sussex
in western PA, USA
( LS chicks being happily raised on Goat Nutri-Drench.)

Last edited:
Thank you, still no word from DH, and he was to give me the go/no go on them, so they may have been picked up this morning and she didn't contact him, or she forgot. :( I hope those poor chickies have food and water where ever they are, they were picked up at the PO yesterday morning by a Co-op employee, for a customer, when they closed last night they hadn't been able to get ahold of the customer to come get the chicks,

So they would likely be a Tuesday hatch (so far all my chickens are) So Hatched Tuesday, shipped Wednesday, arrive Thursday, would have been perfect conditions, for the original customer.

Things are getting interesting around here, DH found a lady that was selling 4 hens and 2 roosters that were 'pure bred' for $100 and now he wants us to start a breeding program, including new coops and runs for our different breeds. so now, I'm researching. again

Your hubby and my hubby must be thinking the same thing!
big_smile.png
He wants us to start breeding also!

I didn't read the entire thread, but is there some caveat in chicken math that says all chickens of the same breed only count as one? Because we only have six breeds. But six of them were brought home in one batch and then we lost one so we brought home seven the second time to make an even dozen. So 6 - 1 + 3 = 8? Yeah...I think we have eight chickens...but we wanted to have an even dozen, so we must need four more...which means eight because we've been getting two of each breed just for funsies....oh, the permutations are just endless. :)

Do you have paperwork with the approval for the chickens? If you do, present the new president with that and tell him/her that they will have an uphill battle if they take you to court since you followed the procedures in place and were granted permission to have the chickens.

I would still think that if the former HOA Representative gave you paperwork saying you could have the chickens, that this jerk will have a hard time especially since it's only his OPINION that chickens aren't pets. All you have to do is walk down the aisle for poultry and Tractor Supply and you can see all the "Pet Chicken" items for sale there. I would take him on simply to let him know that he won't be allowed to bully you and make you miserable. If you have neighbors, etc. who can support you (morally and representative of what others in the HOA may think), I talk to them and get them on board too. I don't know if you've read the thread by "The Sitcom Girls" called "Neighbor Hates My Chickens - will she do them harm?", but it's worth a read if you can find it in the Managing your Flock forum. Her story is incredible, but SHE WON!!!

Back
Top Bottom