Understanding electric fencing for bears

Sunshine Flock

Crowing
Sep 27, 2017
Northern California
I'm trying to better understand a few things with electric fencing for bears.

1) Most folks seem to recommend 14 gauge galvanized steel wire. It's really hard to work with, but it won't easily bend or stretch like aluminum, which is what you want with big predators. The wire needs room for movement, so that's why you use pass-through insulators everywhere but on the ends. With such heavy wire, though, this makes for some pretty baggy lines.

Where the ends are secured, I'm using large screw-in hooks. They're prone to breaking. How do you tighten down the wire enough so it's not baggy?

2) How many inches out from the fencing do you run your hot wire? And what's your preference for insulators to accommodate corner posts? With hot wire that's not very tidy/taut, it needs more space or it could easily end up touching the fencing. I'm swapping out wood post insulators that sit flat against them for longer ones that hold the wire a couple inches out from the fencing. But the screw-in hooks to secure the ends are closer to the post. This creates an angle as the wire approaches the hooks. I need to find hooks that sit out further from the mount.

3) Gates: How are you wiring them? I'm seeing different methods. Are you using one handle and connecting the rows of hot wire on the gate with insulated wire?

4) We're in a hot climate most of the year with dry ground. But I have yet to find someone who's running a hot-cold wiring system. They're all relying on grounding rods. The thing with the hot-cold system is that the bear needs to touch both a hot and cold wire simultaneously to complete the circuit for it to work. I was thinking I'll try three rods and run all hot wire for the winter and spring, see how it goes and test daily with a voltmeter, and during summer keep a bucket of water near the grounds with a pinprick hole on the bottom. But I don't want to be dependent on that bucket, so the other method seems like a good option.

5) I'm also noticing that most people are running three strands of hot wire and nothing more. I suppose as long as the hot wire is run along fencing, the bear can't climb through and is more likely to touch the wire. But if you're going to bother with the initial investment, it doesn't cost much more to run more wire. Some experts say five hot strands at a minimum, 8" to 10" apart.

I'd love to know your thoughts on all of this. Thank you.

Last edited:
Since a bear has a wet nose, mouth, lips, tongue etc a strip of cured bacon securely wrapped around the hot wire will light Yogi up like a jack-o-lantern when he tries to eat it off the fence.
Why's it always gotta be bacon that has to suffer the collateral damage with these bear fences?
Someone needs to stand up for the rights of and be the voice for bacon. Bacon is one of God's top ten greatest creations. H£ll chickens even love bacon. Can you image an egg wanting anything else next to them on the breakfast table?
I'm as much for saving our chickens as anyone but where's the love for bacon?
Save the bacon !!!
Strips of cat meat works just as well and cat tastes like cr@p no matter how you fix it.

Why's it always gotta be bacon that has to suffer the collateral damage with these bear fences?
Someone needs to stand up for the rights of and be the voice for bacon. Bacon is one of God's top ten greatest creations. H£ll chickens even love bacon. Can you image an egg wanting anything else next to them on the breakfast table?
I'm as much for saving our chickens as anyone but where's the love for bacon?
Save the bacon !!!
Strips of cat meat works just as well and cat tastes like cr@p no matter how you fix it.
Holy cured bacon, man. You're as screwball as me! Hahaha!!!!

Long live the bacon. LONG LIVE THE BACCCOOONNNNNN!!!!!

I wondered how hot the poly tape and poly rope were too.....so I tested it. That is X 1,000

And no, it didn't melt down either. :eek:

20170914_113657.jpg

Attachments

• 20180609_144613.jpg
    20180609_144613.jpg
    411.8 KB · Views: 2
Why's it always gotta be bacon that has to suffer the collateral damage with these bear fences?...

Truth be told bacon is cured with salt and salt is a good conductor of "electo-tricity"

If this were not so then prisoners condemned to sit on "old Sparky" would not have had their heads shaved (to do away with the insulating fur) and get a saline socked cap to sit a top of their bald noggin.

(Tongue in Cheeky) It is forever too much trouble to chase down every bear on your property and shave that sucker naked in order to make Yogi more available to electric shock.

I hope that you will do that for us and if your are still able post about your experience so that we will all know how to shave a bear. :oops::lau

Truth be told bacon is cured with salt and salt is a good conductor of "electo-tricity"

If this were not so then prisoners condemned to sit on "old Sparky" would not have had their heads shaved (to do away with the insulating fur) and get a saline socked cap to sit a top of their bald noggin.

(Tongue in Cheeky) It is forever too much trouble to chase down every bear on your property and shave that sucker naked in order to make Yogi more available to electric shock.

I hope that you will do that for us and if your are still able post about your experience so that we will all know how to shave a bear. :oops::lau
Bears are very difficult to shave. Fur is so
thick. Best way to bald a bear is with a flame thrower. I would assume most people have one laying around.
Lots of new ideas in hair removal now days so things are changing. I believe laser guns will be the wave of the future for this.

Must admit I don't have a lot of experience with bears since they're not plentiful here but do have experience with hair removal on bigfoots and bigfoot/human hybrids.

Use a large gauge barbed wire when building electric fences to keep bears at bay. It is also advisable to put a loop of high tinsel steel wire on the end of the barbed wire and then employ a tensioning devise made for high tinsel wires to pull the wires tight as a banjo string.

A side benefit is that the tips of the barbs will reach down into fuzzy-wazzy's fur coat and hopefully touch his skin. The reason for baiting is to train the varmint to give your electric fence a wide berth. Since a bear has a wet nose, mouth, lips, tongue etc a strip of cured bacon securely wrapped around the hot wire will light Yogi up like a jack-o-lantern when he tries to eat it off the fence.

I think that is why the bear known as "Old Slew Foot was running 40MPH and taking 30 feet a jump. He just got bit by an electric fence.

Good call on the electric fencing. As you are finding out, putting the theory into practice takes some thought and effort.

How big of an area are you enclosing? Square feet or acreage?

On the wire, I have found the 17 gauge aluminum to be as effective as the 14 gauge steel, and a whole lot easier to work with. At least for small areas. On solidly braced corners, I end a run with donut insulators tied to either steel posts or wood posts with a wrap of wire. Hot wire just gets a couple turns around the donut and a few turns back on itself.

IMG_0094.JPG

To tension your runs, use ratchet style tighteners (correct term is strainers). Anyplace (TSC, etc) that sells E fence supplies should have them. How many depends on how long of a run you have. I have these on one end, and another set out in the middle and they will keep my runs from sagging over distances of about 400 feet total length, and that is through two turns at the corners. (This fence is only 3 sided......so two terminal corners and two turning corners). For long straight runs, a single strainer located in the middle of the run should tension up a few hundred yards with no problems. For long straight runs, I'd go back to 14 gauge steel, as there is no need to turn the corners and it will stretch less and be more durable.

For straight runs in the range of several hundred feet and longer, I also like the notion of using barbed wire. It is pretty cheap (cheaper still if you buy used on Craigslist) and not so tough to work with and is durable. When fencing in acreage sized fields of corn stalks for cattle to graze in winter, that is all we used. I hadn't considered the advantage of the barb tips getting through the fur, but it would certainly do that. Tension those with regular fencing wire stretchers.

For smaller areas, polyrope or polytape will also work, and even longer runs of several hundred feet of that can be tightened by hand. Polyrope or polytape are also more visible for bears, who apparently don't see as well as some predators do.

I don't have any gates, but the simple way would be to isolate an insulated electric grid on the gate itself that you can shut off with a throw switch or spring loaded gate connector. Or, if you think you can manipulate the gate latch without getting zapped, just leave it hot.

As for grounding in dry conditions, I think you are on the right track as far as using your voltmeter to test it. If you have good ground rods at the fencer, your voltmeter out on one of the runs should tell you if you getting a good zap. Do put something down that would mimic a bear's paw......say a small can with water. Touch the ground part to the can's edge and probe to the fencer. If you get nothing, bear wouldn't feel it either. If you do find good voltage, he would too.

BTW, there are lots of ways to enhance your grounding other than pounding in a bunch of ground rods. You could also connect your ground wire to a chain link fence or even a long run of livestock fence built with barbed or woven wire. That way each steel post becomes part of your grounding system. Also, if you already have an existing wire fence, and the E fence is going to be hung outside of it, can you also ground the existing wire fence? It is probably already grounded to some extent, but you can hook up to it too? In really dry conditions, the more grounding the better.

Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom