Understanding electric fencing for bears

A higher rating improves the 'zap', so a charger rated for 30 miles will do better than one rated for one mile. Right, Howard?
We have a mile of woven wire fencing with electric rope or tape from Premier on top, and some double strand wire fencing in addition. Our charger gives anywhere from 7.5 tp 10 thousand joules, and nobody hits it twice!
With long runs, it's difficult to keep weeds and stuff off all of it all the time; if perfect, it would likely give a bigger effect too.
Mary

Yes, which is why wire always works better for really long runs. Less resistance.

That and the larger fencers have the pressure to send it to far off distances. Like a .308 rifle goes farther and does more damage than a bb gun does. They offer fencers of various strengths to match the length of fence. Most only intend to get an average of 7,000 volts or so over the entire run, be it 30 yards or 30 miles. So you can buy the one you need. I get the hotter ones and don't put em on long runs,

If you look at the product labels for the poly ropes, there are two grades. One has nearly double the wires, and shows less ohms resistance.

https://gallagherelectricfencing.co...l-wire/products/656-gallagher-turbo-equibraid

155 ohms per mile......

https://gallagherelectricfencing.co...-wire/products/656-white-gallagher-turbo-wire

209 ohms per mile.....40X less resistance than standard poly rope.

Then when it comes to steel and aluminum wires, aluminum is said to have 4X more conductivity that steel. The resistance in these, compared to poly tape and poly rope is practically nil.

BTW, for permanent setups or large areas, I like the wire, and prefer the aluminum cause it's easier to work with. For example, aluminum wire is smaller in diameter, is softer and less stiff. When you tension up aluminum wire with one of the strainers, the tension will turn through a donut corner easier. Steel wire is almost too stiff to do that. For small, temp setups, I like the poly tape. Easy to put up and take down and offers good visibility to chickens and varmints alike.

Then there is this......which may be more information than you ever wanted to know.......

https://kencove.com/fence/96_Stafix+Electric+Fencing+Manual_resource.php

Note, there is an article there on bear fences. Alas, mostly written words, not many diagrams or pictures for us visual learners.

I have poultry netting from Kencove, and it is good quality. And Premier1 also has a good following. But most E fence solutions can be found closer to home. The nearest TSC or similar farm and home supply store.

Why's it always gotta be bacon that has to suffer the collateral damage with these bear fences?...

Truth be told bacon is cured with salt and salt is a good conductor of "electo-tricity"

If this were not so then prisoners condemned to sit on "old Sparky" would not have had their heads shaved (to do away with the insulating fur) and get a saline socked cap to sit a top of their bald noggin.

(Tongue in Cheeky) It is forever too much trouble to chase down every bear on your property and shave that sucker naked in order to make Yogi more available to electric shock.

I hope that you will do that for us and if your are still able post about your experience so that we will all know how to shave a bear. :oops::lau

Truth be told bacon is cured with salt and salt is a good conductor of "electo-tricity"

If this were not so then prisoners condemned to sit on "old Sparky" would not have had their heads shaved (to do away with the insulating fur) and get a saline socked cap to sit a top of their bald noggin.

(Tongue in Cheeky) It is forever too much trouble to chase down every bear on your property and shave that sucker naked in order to make Yogi more available to electric shock.

I hope that you will do that for us and if your are still able post about your experience so that we will all know how to shave a bear. :oops::lau
Bears are very difficult to shave. Fur is so
thick. Best way to bald a bear is with a flame thrower. I would assume most people have one laying around.
Lots of new ideas in hair removal now days so things are changing. I believe laser guns will be the wave of the future for this.

Must admit I don't have a lot of experience with bears since they're not plentiful here but do have experience with hair removal on bigfoots and bigfoot/human hybrids.

Howard, you crack me up. :lau

Does anyone have solar recommendations? I'd love some energy independence, but I'm not finding the right information to help guide me on choosing a charger. I'm not seeing good reviews on the ones I've found.

Bears are very difficult to shave. Fur is so
thick. Best way to bald a bear is with a flame thrower. I would assume most people have one laying around.
Lots of new ideas in hair removal now days so things are changing. I believe laser guns will be the wave of the future for this.

Must admit I don't have a lot of experience with bears since they're not plentiful here but do have experience with hair removal on bigfoots and bigfoot/human hybrids.
I found an Avon hair remover product at my mom's house. We were there during the Carr Fire evacuation and I was bored, so I thought why not.

It wiped out a forest of wiry chin hairs. My skin was so naked it felt really odd for a couple of days.

I'm thinking it'd do great balding a bear. Flame throwers require fuel, and I'm all about reducing fossil fuel consumption.

I found an Avon hair remover product at my mom's house. We were there during the Carr Fire evacuation and I was bored, so I thought why not.

It wiped out a forest of wiry chin hairs. My skin was so naked it felt really odd for a couple of days.

I'm thinking it'd do great balding a bear. Flame throwers require fuel, and I'm all about reducing fossil fuel consumption.
Completely understandable.
I don't have to rely on fuel for mine since I make a product that burns just as hot and a lot cleaner.

Is there any way to use that Avon product in reverse to regrow hair:idunno

Then there is this......which may be more information than you ever wanted to know.......

https://kencove.com/fence/96_Stafix+Electric+Fencing+Manual_resource.php

Note, there is an article there on bear fences. Alas, mostly written words, not many diagrams or pictures for us visual learners.

I have poultry netting from Kencove, and it is good quality. And Premier1 also has a good following. But most E fence solutions can be found closer to home. The nearest TSC or similar farm and home supply store.
I'm making a last minute change and doing this solar. So many people rely on solar chargers for electric fencing I figured it's worth giving it a try. I'd rather not run electric out to the coop or deal with an extension cord.

I'm in California with lots of sunshine, and these chargers tend to hold a charge for two weeks and can charge in lower light during winter. Some people have experienced gaps of the charger not working due to weather, but I'll figure it out as I go.

This Parmak charger has great reviews. It's a 25 mile with 1.4 joules. The price is discounted on Amazon, so I need to make sure the seller is reliable and that buying it there doesn't invalidate the warranty.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BWZB74/?tag=backy-20

Back
Top Bottom