Understanding electric fencing for bears

Our solar charger, the battery in it eventually died, so we set a truck battery on the ground next to it and wired it in instead of the built in battery. The benefits to that solution are if the battery does go dead, just drive over and hook your jumper cables to it for a while, or take the battery to the house and hook up a battery tender for a while to get it charged back up.

I use Parmak 12 volt 30 mile chargers, and hook them to a 12 volt deep cycle marine battery. As long as I keep the fence clear and it is not grounding out, a single charge on a good battery will last 2 or 3 months. But solar means you never have to charge it at all.

That 6 volt solar fencer is actually less expensive than my charger, plus battery, plus battery charger to charge it. Aside from the solar panel, the Parmaks have two other handy features.......a battery meter to give you an idea of the health of the battery.....and how much whap it is putting out, plus an on / off switch. I've got another brand of fence charger that doesn't have the switch.......and that is a big downer for that one.

Truth be told bacon is cured with salt and salt is a good conductor of "electo-tricity"

If this were not so then prisoners condemned to sit on "old Sparky" would not have had their heads shaved (to do away with the insulating fur) and get a saline socked cap to sit a top of their bald noggin.

(Tongue in Cheeky) It is forever too much trouble to chase down every bear on your property and shave that sucker naked in order to make Yogi more available to electric shock.

I hope that you will do that for us and if your are still able post about your experience so that we will all know how to shave a bear. :oops::lau
Hmmmm ... I wonder; where can you order those saline-socked caps in size "Bear?" If you get it wet enough, maybe you won't need to shave it?

Glad to see you back! For the record, 10 Kv (Or 10,000 volts) is more than enough to give a bear a really nasty ZAP with or without the fur toupee! I can vouch, as I have seen a bear hit a wire with that much juice in it. It was a great show! Fur won't keep him safe from voltages that high. The poly twine or the tape works good - that 14 gauge stuff is great too, but the other stuff has better visibility for your safety!

As a side-note... sorry if I came across too strong in your last post. It occurred to me I might have been a bit of a butt-head to the point of being unsympathetic.

Last edited:
Glad to see you back! For the record, 10 Kv (Or 10,000 volts) is more than enough to give a bear a really nasty ZAP with or without the fur toupee! I can vouch, as I have seen a bear hit a wire with that much juice in it. It was a great show! Fur won't keep him safe from voltages that high. The poly twine or the tape works good - that 14 gauge stuff is great too, but the other stuff has better visibility for your safety!

As a side-note... sorry if I came across too strong in your last post. It occurred to me I might have been a bit of a butt-head to the point of being unsympathetic.
No worries at all. Trapping and releasing wildlife is a sensitive topic. And I'm Queen Butthead, so I've probably got you beat on that front!

:p

Back
Top Bottom