Understanding "Real" Aracauna/Americauna vs EEs - HELP!!!

operator16

Songster
9 Years
May 15, 2010
Colorado
I'm not sure I understand the differences between the two types of chickens - Americauna/Aracauna vs EE.

When I got my chicks from the feed store, they were labeled as "Americauna" chicks. The feed store gets their chicks from Hoover and McMurray hatcheries. Everyone keeps mentioning that to have the real thing you need to get them from a breeder. Are the hatcheries not true breeders? They sure make it sound like they are.

Here is what Hoover says about their American chicks:

"HOOVER’S HATCHERY currently has l3-breeding flocks for our various egg type layers located north of Floyd, in the Amish communities near Oelwein/Hazelton, Iowa and Edgewood, Iowa and also near Balltown, Iowa. We purchase our Broiler hatching eggs from a very reputable company in Hot Springs, Arkansas and they are delivered to us weekly. Colored Eggs - Americana Chicks can be assorted colors, white, brown, red or black. Eggs are shades of blue, green and light brown. A 5.5 lb. mature bird. Not intended for exhibition. No color choice in chicks or eggs."

Here's what McMurray says about their Aracauna chicks:

"The "Easter Egg Chicken", This unusual breed gets its name from the Indian tribe of Chile where they were first discovered. Araucanas lay beautiful colored eggs of blue-green shades from turquoise to deep olive. These natural Easter Eggs will amaze your friends and make a great "show and tell" project for school. Adults are of medium size with pea combs and our breeding stock is selected for their ability to produce colored eggs. They exhibit a wonderful combination of colors and color patterns and 10 or 20 of these birds make an absolutely beautiful laying flock that is extremely hardy and will be the talk of the town. Baby chicks come in all colors, plain and fancy, just like the adults. This is a unique breed and great fun to have when the colored eggs start coming. Our Araucanas are recommended for egg laying color and ability and not for exhibition."

I see that they both call them by the official name (s) but cannot say that they are recommended for exhibition. I'd like some thoughts on this!

Thanks!!

There may be 1 hatchery that gets its eggs from an Ameraucana breeder, the rest all have Easter Eggers. One tip off is when they even spell it wrong--you can be pretty sure they are EE's. More than likely yours are EE's, which are a fine chicken. To learn more about the differences, do a search. There are TONS of threads on here, on just that subject. Lots and lots of information. Good luck!

It seems like there is a lot of controversy between Real Arucanas and Chickens called Americana's and Easter Eggers. I believe Easter Eggers and Americana's may not be true Arucanas but are related. You will find many posts about it if you search.

Hatcheries might have pedigreed stock but I have learned the stock is not necessarily show quality. I learned that from comments about my birds - nice hatchery quality....

There are people who raise better quality stock and cull their flocks to ensure the best traits breed forward and carefully keep records about their stock. Then there are hobbyists who may also keep beautiful quality stock or not depending upon their level of interest. And there are people who will sell anything and call it what they think it is or it could be a cross of something but it may or may not be what they say it is. I have a "phoenix" Roo that I was told was for sure a pullet and it may have phoenix in the mix but is actually very very Gamebird and doesn't crow but trys to breed with the bantam pullets.

.....Case in point - The momma bird might sit on some eggs but none of the eggs necessarily came from her. My Dot went broody and I slipped 6 eggs under her - none were hers but once they hatched she didn't know they were not hers and if I didn't know I could have led someone to believe they were her bio babies. Actually none of them looked like her so I don't think I could have fooled anyone but maybe....

I also have a "papered and pure Cocker spaniel that is no way a pure breed - somehow she seems to have a little mudding of her dna because Cockers do not shed and she has some interesting coat let me tell you!!! She was a rescue so I really don't care but I used to show dogs a long time ago and it made me laugh a little regarding records.

I would not turn away from hatchery birds but you will see some beautiful photos of peoples birds that will really show the difference. It is a great place to start to learn about a certain kind of chicken and it is fun to have a mixed flock. You don't have to cull your birds but if you want to increase your quality of your flock you will have to select birds you want to breed together and that is sort of a fun thread to follow too.

The genetics and breeding thread is really really interesting. Check it out.
Caroline

I wouldn't trade mine for anything! They are my first experience w/chickens and I absolutely love them. I don't care what their pedigree is!!! I am just so new to chickens that I am still figuring out all these details.

Thank you for this information.

Another question though... When hatcheries claim that they sex their chicks w/a 90% accuracy... Are they reliable in that number? Are breeders more accurate? I think 4 of my 6 EEs from the feed store are male... My heart is broken.
hit.gif

Quote:

Well search utube for that clip of dirty jobs where they are sexing the chickens, some tell by the feathers on the wing and some they have to check the vent. I think there is a possiblity that some get tossed into the wrong bin which if they are sexing 20,000 chicks a day - 90 percent must be pretty good!

So far from MPC I have had 100 percent what I wanted in male and female chicks.
Caroline

The Americauna/Aracauna have to pass very rigorous standards. I have not read the standards for these birds but it certainly will contain leg color, comb shape, body configuration, specific colors, patterns, and who knows what else. They should also lay blue eggs, not green or brown. To be an Easter Egger, the chicken has to have the possibility to have the blue egg gene, which mixed with brown can give green, olive, or brown eggs. Since both hatcheries say they are not for exhibition and don't have color control, they are EE's. If they were selling Americaunas, they would advertise specific colors and patterns, like the rocks are sold as barred, partridge, white, etc, not just mixed or random colors.

Chicks from the feed store are NOT reliably sexed. This is mostly because people will pick up chicks from one bin and put them back in another. Most hatcheries will guarantee 90% - I know Ideal does and most of the others do to. The best way to pick a hatchery is location - pick the one which is closest to you.

Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom