Underweight lethargic hen

MinervaTheHen

Chirping
Sep 30, 2022
Hello, I am new to this so please feel free to correct me if I don’t post this right.
About three weeks ago I got back from vacation and noticed one of my hens was acting strangely. She is normally very healthy and active, but she was spending most of the day hunched over near the coop door. I took a quick look at her and didn’t notice much, other than that she had lost a lot of weight. It’s important to note that my flock is free range during the day, and they forage quite a bit. I was worried it might have been a impacted crop. I took a second look at her, and sure enough her crop was pretty big and hard. I isolated her and removed all food, and after a few days her crop seemed normal and she was pooping regularly.
It’s now been three weeks and she hadn’t bounced back at all. Her comb is almost…deflated? It’s also a little purple colored. She seems to still be losing weight. The weight loss is pretty significant, she’s practically skin and bones. She is eating and drinking, although much less than normal. She isn’t laying, but that’s not unusual for this time of year. She still responds to me and the other hens. She doesn’t seem to have enough energy to do much. I thought the crop was the issue, but I’m fairly new to keeping chickens on my own and I’m concerned at how long it’s taking her to get better. None of my other hens are showing any type of symptoms. Could the crop have been just a symptom? Is something else going on? If I can figure out how to add pictures I will tomorrow. I would really appreciate any help or advice you guys have! Thanks!

Welcome To BYC

Where are you located in the world?

If you have photos of her and her poop that would be good.

With laying hens, often reproductive disorders are the cause of decline. Look her over for lice/mites, see that her crop is emptying overnight. Feel her abdomen for bloat or fluid.

Consider deworming.
If she's molting, then this may be a reason why she stopped laying.

I'd keep her hydrated and see that she's eating her normal feed. Poultry vitamins and a little extra protein a couple of times a week won't hurt.

Welcome To BYC

Where are you located in the world?

If you have photos of her and her poop that would be good.

With laying hens, often reproductive disorders are the cause of decline. Look her over for lice/mites, see that her crop is emptying overnight. Feel her abdomen for bloat or fluid.

Consider deworming.
If she's molting, then this may be a reason why she stopped laying.

I'd keep her hydrated and see that she's eating her normal feed. Poultry vitamins and a little extra protein a couple of times a week won't hurt.
Thank you! I am so sorry for the late reply, it’s been a crazy week and this post completely slipped my mind. I’m in rural New England. It’s getting chilly here, especially at nights, so most of my hens have quit laying for the time being. She’s a black Australorp, if that helps anything. She isn’t molting but most of my flock is. I looked for mites but didn’t see any. As far as I can tell her crop is functioning normally now. I couldn’t get a good picture of her poop but I got a few of her.
Yesterday her behavior did a complete 180. She’s eating normally again, shes foraging, even chatting with the other girls. She’s not hunched over anymore and her comb looks much more normal today. The only thing that has changed is that I removed a problematic rooster from the flock. Now that I think about it, the symptoms started when I introduced this rooster. Would that be enough to make her go off her feed?

Attachments

• 023F8C8E-4E9E-407C-8DE7-11D6AE27266D.jpeg
    023F8C8E-4E9E-407C-8DE7-11D6AE27266D.jpeg
    843.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 35A24956-6C97-401D-8BF4-7B7BFEEEA483.jpeg
    35A24956-6C97-401D-8BF4-7B7BFEEEA483.jpeg
    765.8 KB · Views: 4
Thank you! I am so sorry for the late reply, it’s been a crazy week and this post completely slipped my mind. I’m in rural New England. It’s getting chilly here, especially at nights, so most of my hens have quit laying for the time being. She’s a black Australorp, if that helps anything. She isn’t molting but most of my flock is. I looked for mites but didn’t see any. As far as I can tell her crop is functioning normally now. I couldn’t get a good picture of her poop but I got a few of her.
Yesterday her behavior did a complete 180. She’s eating normally again, shes foraging, even chatting with the other girls. She’s not hunched over anymore and her comb looks much more normal today. The only thing that has changed is that I removed a problematic rooster from the flock. Now that I think about it, the symptoms started when I introduced this rooster. Would that be enough to make her go off her feed?
A problematic rooster can affect behavior and possibly make her go off feed, especially if he was bullying her.

I'm glad to hear she's doing much better. I'd just monitor her and see if she continues to improve.

Back
Top Bottom