Underweight

Ranch714

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 29, 2014
HI!

One of my chickens weighs about half of what my other chickens weigh.Its left side is puffed up. The chicken is 4 months old and hasnt started laying yet. Any ideas?

Welcome to BYC. How long has the left side been puffed up? Is it firm or soft, and does it feel like air underneath the skin? Subcutaneous emphysema or a leaking air sac under the skin can happen after an injury. It also could be a tumor if it is firm.

Thanks for the reply! I honestly only noticed it last week. Her puffed up side feels the same way it does on my other chickens so I guess normal?. The neck however feels weirdly shaped. Her crop also seems to always be empty.

She could have injured her chest or neck, causing a leaking air sac. The air will leak under the skin. That could affect her neck. If it feels like air, you can disinfect the skin, and stick an 18 gauge needle into the space under the skin, and either squeeze out the air or withdraw it with a 35 or 60 ml syringe. Many times the air can re-accumulate, so it may be necessary to repeat this. Since you just noticed it, I would suspect this. I have heard of crops being on the wrong side. Just make sure that this bulge feels like air before deflating it, instead of being firm or solid. Feel for her crop in the evening when it would be full. There was a similar case here a week ago, and the bulge turned out to be a tumor, but it had been there 2 months. Here is some reading for you:
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/6/diseases-of-poultry/223/subcutaneous-emphysema
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/171121/deflating-subcutaneous-emphysema

Thanks for the links! however, could it be something else? I examined the chicken and didnt feel any bulges/bumps even though its feathers are puffed up on that side. I didnt mention it before but she is limping as well and just recently started tipping over. I checked her crop at night and it was empty unlike my other chickens.

Back
Top Bottom