Unemployment Benefits

I knew people re trained under the same or similar fed. program(s) they where sent to community colleges for the most part, HVAC, other similar trades where under the program, nursing, accounting and office administrative degrees, they had a list of approved degrees they could get. it seemed it was a national type of list and some schools did not have all the degrees and you had to really had to jump threw hoops if you didn't attend the college in town and went to one in a different town for a degree that was offered there on the list at that school. What several women where mad because beautician wasn't on the list (or perhaps it was but not offered thru the CC and the only way you could do it is thru a private beauty school and that is why they couldn't get training for it).
That is why it ****** my hubby off because he wanted to be trained as a massage person or the phelbotmist (sp) and neither state or college would recognize it for approved degrees. If you want to go Nurse assistance or certified nurse assistant, nurse, doctor, programmist, accountant, you would qualify for it. And it would take a long drive to the next town to take the entire course to finish your degree. We have a very good community college and a private university that are pretty good in the courses that hubby wants to take but the program said those schools were not eligible under their approval list. Why can 't they give people more choices to change careers and many of us have a pretty good idea what's out there but needing degrees or x number of years of experience that the employer can hire you.

This massaging of statistics happens in the UK as well. When my daughter, unemployed for a year, maried 4 weeks ago she lost her entitlement to benefits. She was told by the job centre to stop coming and registering for work since she was not receiving unemployment benefits.She of course has now been removed from the unemployment figures. The good news is she has found a job not because of any help they have given her but in spite of their so called help! The whole system is an absolute travesty!

I am not sure how it works in the UK but in the US the employment rate is not determened by whether or not you are receiving benefits so if this happened here her loss of benefits would not change her status as unemployed and thus would not remove her from the figures, in theory.

The rate is determined by a combination of 2 monthly surveys done by the United States Census Bureau. Receiving benefits is not what determines who is or is not "unemployed." As I understand it, unemployment is defined by the ILO (International Labour Organization) as someone who is without a job and has activity looked for work in the last 4 weeks. The US uses this standard.

It looks like the UK also uses this standard and may have a similar system with the European Union Labour Force Survey (?) I'm not entirely certain how it works.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unemployment_rate#Measurement

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Labour_Organization

Last edited:
Quote:
Here in Indiana I know of people in the medical field get an LPN RN or EMT degree/licence from a school or get trained as a nurse aid, (nurse tech here is almost the same but just ever so slightly upgraded licence) orderly or some some other tech type job with a hospital/lab/nursing home and they try for a different job either at the same or lower type licence. what I mean by that lets say nurse aid or lpn either one is on the government aid list. your husband goes for and gets either diploma and licence goes to work for hospital x and after he's there a while he goes to his boss or human resources and asks either to be cross trained for the phelbotinist job or just out and out trained and transfer to that department he works long enough to get experiance and also if there is a repayment period if there is one is over (some places require for certain training you work a few months or a few years to "payback" their investment for your training or schooling) he can then go find work for a plasma donation center, or an independant lab going to nursing homes/mental health hospitals etc. and then back to the lab. Also I know larger medical offices with several doctors, and larger urgent care clinics have that job title there too. but as I said sometimes you have to sometimes get a similar degree or into a similar field and side step or take a step up or down to where you want to be.

I know....but he is simply not interested in doing that high of a field or the knowledge. He is hitting 50 years old and most of the time in his life was mostly farm work and mechicanical/factory work. EMT on the side but he let it lapse (he is not a good candidate, poor reasoning and social skills...he has Asperger's).

Today he went in the UI office....got screwed again. They told him he needs to go in person to apply and when the employer tells you to go online to apply, UI office said it does not count! More and more employers are telling folks to go online to fill out applications. *** isn't unemployment office is doing?! You know, many things are going paperless!

Many years ago, in the UK, if you were looking for work you went to the Labour Exchange. You filled in a card, as to what type of work you wanted and sat in a queue, until a clerk became available. They then matched you with one or two appropriate jobs, and rang on your behalf to arrange an interview. They gave you a form to take to your would be employer and he/she filled it in and signed it at your interview. If your were unsuccessful, he/she had to give the reason why. If you got the job you still had to return to the Labour Exchange and inform them that you were no longer in the job market. A simple system, but a thousand times better than the one that exists now, where no one helps you. It begs the question why change a working system?

Many years ago, in the UK, if you were looking for work you went to the Labour Exchange. You filled in a card, as to what type of work you wanted and sat in a queue, until a clerk became available. They then matched you with one or two appropriate jobs, and rang on your behalf to arrange an interview. They gave you a form to take to your would be employer and he/she filled it in and signed it at your interview. If your were unsuccessful, he/she had to give the reason why. If you got the job you still had to return to the Labour Exchange and inform them that you were no longer in the job market. A simple system, but a thousand times better than the one that exists now, where no one helps you. It begs the question why change a working system?

our unemployment offices are supposed to do similar to what you told, fill out a form(s) get a list of possible jobs and go apply, but I had an uncle go in once not because he was out of work, but because he wanted a different job (here in the US they are supposed to help people currently employed find a new job also). He walked in filled out the forms requested after he turned them in they laughed that they hadn't found a non-union person a job in almost 30 years. and this was in the early to mid 70's. (the area in question had some factories, mines and mega building contractors in the area).

I like this idea! Matching the jobs to the person's skills or skills they want to pursue. Why ask a factory worker to do medical field when they have years of experience in that field before they lost their jobs. I know Unemployment Office told them you can go find something else but the computer matchings don't match. I hate it when the computer match you with your skills, your IQ or education but they are so far off....on hubby's computer match, they said you can be a counselor, a therapist, a social worker or LPN which he does not want to do it at ALL nor he wants to be those position near future. He would not mind doing factory work, a janitor, floor maintaince, stocker, unloading docks and order fulfillments. I know he wants to do EMT but due to his personal issues, it would definately not a good fit nor could he cope the high intesity of the job.

Back
Top Bottom